PR casting and bubbles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

leevis

I've just started casting my own blanks with PR. I'm just mixing colors; no embedded items. So far, I've been very pleased with the results. Occasionally, however, I get very tiny bubbles in the finished casting. I'm very careful when mixing and pouring, but I guess sometimes the bubbles just can't be avoided.

My question, would it be better to put the resin under a vacuum, or cure it under pressure? I'm going to get the pressure pot from HF and will also pick-up the vacuum pump if that's the way to go.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I use Alumilite urethane resin rather than PR and pressure is the best way to go with it. I think the same holds true for PR although some use both vac and then pressure.

leevis

Thanks. I'll give pressure a try and see if that helps. If I still have a problem with bubbles, I may try applying a vacuum before pouring and then cure under pressure.

Just for "shirts and girdles", I tried an experiment the other evening ... I mixed up some polyresin, and when I say 'mixed', I mean "whipped as close as I could get it to foam", and put the container FULL OF BUBBLES (of all sizes) into a jar and put the jar under light pressure (Yes, I know about the dangers of pressurizing glass, this was not super-high pressure) ... I let it cure and when pulled from the jar, no bubbles. I also concocted the polyresin so it would cure faster-as-opposed-to-slower to give it a WORSE chance of getting the bubbles out ... This was a large pickle-jar (okay, Three Bean Salad, if you want to be picky [:D]) and a hand-operated brake bleeder (like from Harbour Freight) ... maybe eight to twelve 'pumps' with the output of the brake bleeder on "exhaust" instead of "vacuum".

Bottom Line : ""some pressure"" is a lot better than none ...

By the way, DO NOT TRY putting much pressure on a jar ... it WILL burst and shower your face with razor-sharps glass shards ... (Think glass-hand-grenade)

its_virgil

...faster as opposed to slower = brittle as opposed to a good turning piece of resin. In my feeble attempts [;)] at casting, I've concluded that less is more...catalyst that is. More catalyst makes the resin more brittle and difficult to turn. Also, the thicker the cast, the more heat is generated and less catalyst is needed. But, this has nothing to do with the bubble experiment at hand. Gentle agitation will also eleminat the bubbles with no pressure. There is also a "bubble release agent" that can be mixed with the resin that helps with bubble formation and expulsion. I've not tried the additive. Vacuum then pressure for me.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by dishripjlt
<br /> I also concocted the polyresin so it would cure faster-as-opposed-to-slower to give it a WORSE chance of getting the bubbles out ...

leevis

I have discovered the "less is more" reasoning. I've found that blanks I cast with minimal catalyst (around 5 or 6 drops per ounce) naturally take longer to cure but drill and turn very nice. The few that I've cast using more catalyst (10 or more drops per ounce) cure relatively fast (a few hours) but are much more difficult to work with. Not only are they more brittle, but they also produce a fine white "powder" when drilling and turning.

I got the pressure pot from HF, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I plan on doing some casting this afternoon, so I should have some results in a day or two.

Skye

Originally posted by its_virgilThere is also a "bubble release agent" that can be mixed with the resin that helps with bubble formation and expulsion.

Is it love?

Yeah, I was just talking to someone about the fact my last casting was so brittle it exploded at both ends like me after some bad Taco Bell. I'm going to cut back on my drops too.

its_virgil

Love could do it. I was in love with a young lady once and whem she broke it off with me it really burst my bubble.[:D]

I use 3 drops per ounce casting 16 ounces per mold 1 inch thick.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Skye
<br />
Originally posted by its_virgilThere is also a "bubble release agent" that can be mixed with the resin that helps with bubble formation and expulsion.

Is it love?

Yeah, I was just talking to someone about the fact my last casting was so brittle it exploded at both ends like me after some bad Taco Bell. I'm going to cut back on my drops too.

jpick22

Well, Lee, let me give you a couple of tips. First, Don Ward (It's Virgil) and I have been friends for a number of years - and have spent a number of hours together experimenting and certainly talking and sharing our experiences and our experiments with casting, face-to-face and on e-mail.

When Don put together a very detailed "paper" on casting Polyester Resin, he wrote it as a final solution process to eliminate several problems he was getting.

The point to remember was that Don's casting WAS NOT the normal need that most of us encounter. That is, putting a couple of molds in a Pressure Pot and making enough parts for generally 2 pens at a time. Don's problems (and solutions) came about because he was casting 6, 8, 10 or more pieces at a time. Also, not just 7mm tubes (and skins) at a time, but rather tubes for other larger sized pens. He was having a terrible time - and wasting a lot of skins in the process. Through his continued experimentation (AND a lot more patience than I would have had), he discovered the addition of his vacuuming procedure finally eliminated the problem - and since then has produced nothing more than perfect, clean, bubbless castings.

SO! Unless you plan to do multiple parts casting, FORGET THE VACUUMING! It's a waste of time and money. And I challenge anyone to prove me wrong about this.

Two molds - 4 pen parts (two complete pens) - 30-40 minutes under a PRESSURE of 30-40 psi, 4 drops of catalist per ounce and you can go out and exhaust your pressure pot, take out the molds, take them inside and in an hour or so, turn them over and slam them down on your kitchen countertop a couple of times, removing them from the mold (they'll still feel a bit stickey on the surface) and just set them aside and let them "air" overnight. The next day they can be turned.

This is a very SIMPLE process and doesn't need to be made more complicated for the average PR caster. Every 40 minutes you can re-mix some PR and head for the pressure pot. By the end of an evening, you can have a pile of new blanks - AND NOT ONE BUBBLE - EVER!!

Get your pressure pot Lee - and get to work. Soon, BUBBLES will be something you'll never think about!

Regards,
Jay

quote]Originally posted by leevis
<br />I've just started casting my own blanks with PR. I'm just mixing colors; no embedded items. So far, I've been very pleased with the results. Occasionally, however, I get very tiny bubbles in the finished casting. I'm very careful when mixing and pouring, but I guess sometimes the bubbles just can't be avoided.

My question, would it be better to put the resin under a vacuum, or cure it under pressure? I'm going to get the pressure pot from HF and will also pick-up the vacuum pump if that's the way to go.

[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom