Pouring Alumilite blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

For the X time...What is needed to get started. Materials, equipment, etc. I'm giving it thought. Only interested in working with decorated tubes & clear resin. Does it smell as bad as acrylic? If I'm on the wrong forum please relocate
Thanks, Frank

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
You need a pressure pot, molds designed for clear casting labels, air compressor with hose and needed ends, resin, mold release spray, a reasonable quality printer, labels for printing on, jig for trimming labels, extra tubes for the kit style you are making and maybe glue for laminating labels to tubes pending the labels you use. Be mindful of copyrights for images you want to cast.

The scent of alumilite isn't too bad, not overpowering like some epoxies or other resins. Just be sure to do the mixing in an open area to reduce the odor some. For pressure pots I would recommend getting one from California Air Tools, they specialize in pressure pots and re-engineered one specifically for resin casting. The pot is ready to go for casting the moment arrives

Expect trial and error for casting tubes. Printer quality matters due to potential ink bleed. Securing the label to the tube is also very important because if the paper doesn't adhere fully you can get a edge sticking up. Also trimming is a learning curve to get the label to line up how you want exactly. Know that there will be some waste as you learn and develop your process.

There are guys here who are much more knowledgeable and experienced in this than I am. My goal is to help set the stage for you to get started with supplies and background.

konoles

Alumilite does need a pressure pot or you will not be happy with the results in clear resin over labels. Liquid Diamonds (also epoxy) does not require a pressure pot and has a MUCH longer open time. I can wait and work with the LD resin and colors for almost 30 minutes (depends on temp) making my color separations much more distinct with less muddy areas. I use both and the end result is the same IF YOU HAVE THE PRESSURE POT for Alumilite. Jake is a world of knowledge on YouTube, as is Zac Higgins. They are very prolific posters and there is probably nothing they have not seen/tried in terms of making blanks. If you go with the pressure method spring for the California Air one as was already mentioned to you. I did the Harbor Freight repurpose and it went well for a little while, but the bolt threads on one of the 4 bolts gave way one day and the pot lid exploded into my ceiling with severe consequences. Thank heavens I was not over it when it went off or I would have likely been injured.. The CAT model is just so much better built.

konoles

I forgot to give a link to the process of making your own molds to size/shape done on YouTube by Zac (or you can just go there and put it into the search engine). It is:

WriteON

one day and the pot lid exploded into my ceiling with severe consequences. Thank heavens I was not over it when it went off or I would have likely been injured..
I was next to someone filling a pressure (in a dental lab) that was not paying attention. He should have cut the air before 30psi. The safety relief valve failed...The lid blew off and missed my face. I never worked near him again. If I buy a pressure pot it will be a quality well known one. The price will definitely be cheaper than my medical deductible.
Thanks for all replies. Not sure how forward I will move...space is an issue...but please keep the suggestions coming. Much appreciated.

Top Bottom