Casting Pour #6, Mother of Pearl Pastels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings fellow IAP members (and guests),

This morning I did a pour that I've been thinking about for a while. I called it Mother of Pearl Pastels. I used Alumilite Clear Slow in my newest Schedule 80 PVC mold (300g total resin into 6 blanks). I used Eye Candy pigments in equal parts of the Ghost colors that I have, Violet, Blue, Green, and Gold. I used about 1/3 tsp of powder with a very tiny bit of a solid color in each cup. For solid colors I used Baku Red in the Violet, Pacific Blue in the Blue, Jade Green in the Green, and Imperial Gold in the Gold. I also kept back about 1/2 to 1 oz of resin with a drop of Alumilite Black dye in a cup and made a tiny drizzle of black in each cup just before pouring.

I poured about 2 rotations and got everything under pressure at about 15 minutes elapsed time and de-molded at about 5-1/2 hours. Considering how different the turned pens vs the unturned blanks turn out, I'm anxious to turn one of these in the next couple of days after they have had time to get closer to a full cure. I was very surprised at how such a little bit of solid color tinted the ghost powders - much more than I had anticipated. This was also the first time I have poured more than 3 colors.

Regards,
Dave

Fronts and Backs of the blanks
IMG_3948 Cropped.jpg IMG_3949 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Greetings fellow IAP members (and guests),

This morning I did a pour that I've been thinking about for a while. I called it Mother of Pearl Pastels. I used Alumilite Clear Slow in my newest Schedule 80 PVC mold (300g total resin into 6 blanks). I used Eye Candy pigments in equal parts of the Ghost colors that I have, Violet, Blue, Green, and Gold. I used about 1/3 tsp of powder with a very tiny bit of a solid color in each cup. For solid colors I used Baku Red in the Violet, Pacific Blue in the Blue, Jade Green in the Green, and Imperial Gold in the Gold. I also kept back about 1/2 to 1 oz of resin with a drop of Alumilite Black dye in a cup and made a tiny drizzle of black in each cup just before pouring.

I poured about 2 rotations and got everything under pressure at about 15 minutes elapsed time and de-molded at about 5-1/2 hours. Considering how different the turned pens vs the unturned blanks turn out, I'm anxious to turn one of these in the next couple of days after they have had time to get closer to a full cure. I was very surprised at how such a little bit of solid color tinted the ghost powders - much more than I had anticipated. This was also the first time I have poured more than 3 colors.

Regards,
Dave

Fronts and Backs of the blanks
View attachment 360982 View attachment 360983
I can't wait to see them turned, you know the magic is always on the inside.

JohnU

Dave I'd say you're hooked! But that's not a bad thing as long as you have resin! Keep up the good work! I'm glad your having fun!

tyrithe

Never through to add any color directly with the ghost colors. I know how my attempts with ghost colors have worked out, I'm looking forward to seeing one of these turned.

Top Bottom