Casting Pour #4, Red and Pearl White

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

This is my fourth pour of Alumilite Clear Slow with the assistance of my youngest son, Ben. Ben drives a semi for a Coca-Cola distributor so he chose the colors most widely known for Coca-Cola, Red and White.

The blanks are 3/4-inch PVC (about 0.8 inches actual diameter) and are 5.25-ish long.

The pigments are:
- 50% Pearl-Ex Micropearl with two drops of Alumilite White Dye (1/2 tsp in 180 grams of resin)
- 40% Eye Candy Yamagata Red (Heaping 1/2 tsp in 140 grams of resin)
- 10% Eye Candy Yamagata Red with one drop of Alumilite Translucent Red Dye (Heaping 1/2 tsp in 40 grams of resin)

We mixed the pigments and dyes separately but combined the Reds into a single cup to do a "Dirty Pour" of the reds. Hoping for some areas that are more opaque and some that are more translucent. We did 6 or 7 rotations with the colors. They went in the pressure pot at about 14 minutes elapsed time at 57 PSI. We just demolded them after 6-1/2 hours.

As usual with vertical pours it's really hard to predict what they will look like on the inside until after they are turned. Ben was pouring the Pearl White and I poured the Reds. It looks like he did a much better job of hitting the hole than I did - most of the red on the outside of the mold is likely from my poor aim. We didn't swirl any of the blanks with a skewer, but I did give the reds a quick swirl in the cup after they were combined. I have a busy day tomorrow so I don't know if I will get around to turning one, but I'm sure I will do it sometime within the next couple of days. As usual I will post the results.

This casting thing continues to be quite fun. I am anxiously waiting for my shipment of pigments from Exotic Blanks. Currently scheduled for Monday. Then I am definitely going to have to order more Alumilite.

The thumbnails are opposite sides of the six blanks.

Dave

Click on Thumbnails to Zoom-In
IMG_3850 Cropped.jpg IMG_3852 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike

Dave, these blanks are looking great, including the first one. Can't wait to some of them turned. If you turned some, I missed it.

Mike

rixstix

Looking good Dave,

I like your precision notes for the recipes.
You definitely skipped a huge portion of any initial learning curve.
I love ROUND blanks and wish more makers would go vertical/round instead of square. Easier turning and less wasted resin.

I'll show my ignorance here; is there a reason you can't use small kitchen funnels to help hit the 3/4" hole? Like resin is too thick for a funnel?

egnald

Looking good Dave,

I like your precision notes for the recipes.
You definitely skipped a huge portion of any initial learning curve.
I love ROUND blanks and wish more makers would go vertical/round instead of square. Easier turning and less wasted resin.

I'll show my ignorance here; is there a reason you can't use small kitchen funnels to help hit the 3/4" hole? Like resin is too thick for a funnel?
I'm sure that funnels would work and would help, but so far I've just put up with a little spillage in favor of being able to pour quickly and not having more stuff to clean up with acetone after the pour. It's amazing how the 4 or 5 minutes pouring window goes by. I don't know how the people that use the regular Alumilite and not the Slow can get everything poured before the resin gets too thick. - Dave

Hippie3180

Greetings from Nebraska.

This is my fourth pour of Alumilite Clear Slow with the assistance of my youngest son, Ben. Ben drives a semi for a Coca-Cola distributor so he chose the colors most widely known for Coca-Cola, Red and White.

The blanks are 3/4-inch PVC (about 0.8 inches actual diameter) and are 5.25-ish long.

The pigments are:
- 50% Pearl-Ex Micropearl with two drops of Alumilite White Dye (1/2 tsp in 180 grams of resin)
- 40% Eye Candy Yamagata Red (Heaping 1/2 tsp in 140 grams of resin)
- 10% Eye Candy Yamagata Red with one drop of Alumilite Translucent Red Dye (Heaping 1/2 tsp in 40 grams of resin)

We mixed the pigments and dyes separately but combined the Reds into a single cup to do a "Dirty Pour" of the reds. Hoping for some areas that are more opaque and some that are more translucent. We did 6 or 7 rotations with the colors. They went in the pressure pot at about 14 minutes elapsed time at 57 PSI. We just demolded them after 6-1/2 hours.

As usual with vertical pours it's really hard to predict what they will look like on the inside until after they are turned. Ben was pouring the Pearl White and I poured the Reds. It looks like he did a much better job of hitting the hole than I did - most of the red on the outside of the mold is likely from my poor aim. We didn't swirl any of the blanks with a skewer, but I did give the reds a quick swirl in the cup after they were combined. I have a busy day tomorrow so I don't know if I will get around to turning one, but I'm sure I will do it sometime within the next couple of days. As usual I will post the results.

This casting thing continues to be quite fun. I am anxiously waiting for my shipment of pigments from Exotic Blanks. Currently scheduled for Monday. Then I am definitely going to have to order more Alumilite.

The thumbnails are opposite sides of the six blanks.

Dave

Click on Thumbnails to Zoom-In
View attachment 359966 View attachment 359967
So Dave, how are you determined the amount of colorant to use? I've not delved into this yet so no point of reference.

Top Bottom