Casting Pour #3, Silver, Blue-Grey, and Russet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska.

This is my third pour of Alumilite Clear Slow.
The blanks are 3/4-inch PVC (about 0.8 inches actual diameter) and are 5.25-ish long.

The pigments are:
- 33% Eye Candy Amaterasu Silver (Heaping 1/2 tsp in 120 grams of resin)
- 33% Eye Candy Carolina Blue (Heaping 1/2 tsp in 120 grams of resin)
- 34% Pearl Ex #654 Super Russet (Heaping 1/2 tsp in 120 grams of resin)

I was planning on doing a "Dirty Pour" - dumping all into a single cup and then pouring, but anxiety got to me and so I simply did about 3 rotations of each color instead. They went in the pressure pot at about 14 minutes elapsed time at 57 PSI. I just demolded them after 4-1/2 hours.

From the outward appearance the colors are not quite what I was aiming for. The Pearl-Ex Russet looks much more red. I was expecting more of a darker and more muted rust color. Time will tell though, with vertical pours it's hard to predict what they will look like on the inside after they are turned. I will have to look for a different pigment for the red/rust and try again - or perhaps just skip the red altogether.

I have a busy day tomorrow so I don't know if I will get around to turning one, but I'm sure I will do it sometime this weekend. As usual I will post the results. (I will likely reference off of the bottom of the blanks so the scrap will be on the top where the red color is more predominant).

The thumbnails are opposite sides of the six blanks.
This casting thing is quite fun.

Dave

Click on thumbnails to Zoom-In
IMG_3830 Cropped.jpg IMG_3831 Cropped.jpg

Last edited:

RDHals

I like the red in there Dave, it offers a good contrast to the blue and silver. The blue silver are similar in hue so the deep red works. Looks like good color separation so your temp at pour is good. Good job. But like you said, you'll never know till you turn them.
Russ

Hippie3180

Greetings from Nebraska.

This is my third pour of Alumilite Clear Slow.
The blanks are 3/4-inch PVC (about 0.8 inches actual diameter) and are 5.25-ish long.

The pigments are:
- 33% Eye Candy Amaterasu Silver (Heaping 1/2 tsp in 120 grams of resin)
- 33% Eye Candy Carolina Blue (Heaping 1/2 tsp in 120 grams of resin)
- 34% Pearl Ex #654 Super Russet (Heaping 1/2 tsp in 120 grams of resin)

I was planning on doing a "Dirty Pour" - dumping all into a single cup and then pouring, but anxiety got to me and so I simply did about 3 rotations of each color instead. They went in the pressure pot at about 14 minutes elapsed time at 57 PSI. I just demolded them after 4-1/2 hours.

From the outward appearance the colors are not quite what I was aiming for. The Pearl-Ex Russet looks much more red. I was expecting more of a darker and more muted rust color. Time will tell though, with vertical pours it's hard to predict what they will look like on the inside after they are turned. I will have to look for a different pigment for the red/rust and try again - or perhaps just skip the red altogether.

I have a busy day tomorrow so I don't know if I will get around to turning one, but I'm sure I will do it sometime this weekend. As usual I will post the results. (I will likely reference off of the bottom of the blanks so the scrap will be on the top where the red color is more predominant).

The thumbnails are opposite sides of the six blanks.
This casting thing is quite fun.

Dave

Click on thumbnails to Zoom-In
View attachment 359876 View attachment 359877
While I wouldn't call it russet at all, I love the pop of red with the weathered blue gray.

BULLWINKLE

Looking good. I've never tried casting. Those look really good. I have turned Alumilite though and I find it turns best with a negative rake carbide chisel.

Top Bottom