posting entries

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

I'm noticing that some contests aren't going to show any pictures of entries until it's time to vote. Why is that? I know we want to keep identities secret as far as who makes each pen, but why not show the pen at all? If all the contests are run that way then there wouldn't be any reason to watch the threads and everyone will only tune into the bash at the end when there's actually something to see.

I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, just trying to understand. I don't think that by someone submitting an early entry and gaining longer exposure will change the voters minds.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I believe the theory is that the length of time folks have seen a pen posted will effect how they will vote when the member voting starts.

Kind of, "Oh, that ol pen, I've seen it for a month---nothing special".

However, I think your observation is pertinent. Why WILL anyone view the threads if they know there are no entries yet??

Hopefully we will have some of each kind of contest and can see what the membership does in the voting stages, will the "all at once" result in more voting? Better voting??

Who knows, but it's worth bringing up, I think!!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
The reason, at least in my mind, is because of an issue that arose last year. I forget which contest it was but the first pen posted was some drop dead gorgeous piece of art that pretty much intimidated a lot of people who would have entered to the point that they didn't enter. We don't want that to happen again and figured the best way to avoid it was not show the pens until after the entry deadline.

Perhaps the contest chairs could at least post some teasers to try to keep interest in the thread alive until the voting starts. I'm open to other suggestions also.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
The reason, at least in my mind, is because of an issue that arose last year. I forget which contest it was but the first pen posted was some drop dead gorgeous piece of art that pretty much intimidated a lot of people who would have entered to the point that they didn't enter. We don't want that to happen again and figured the best way to avoid it was not show the pens until after the entry deadline.

Perhaps the contest chairs could at least post some teasers to try to keep interest in the thread alive until the voting starts. I'm open to other suggestions also.
This is my plan.:beat-up:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That contest ended up with 35 entries.

How many would it have had without the first picture??

How many entries do these contests have, on average?

(As you may be able to see, I watch trivia and award prizes---rarely look at the contest pens---that's Dawn's area---artist watching art).

mbroberg

Naturally that question cannot be answered. I can also not tell you how many fewer PMs I would have received or how many fewer comments would have been made if that hadn't been the first post.

Brooks803

Even at the risk of losing entries I think posting the full pen will help keep the bash threads alive more than only teasers. I know I'd lose interest quickly. How long would the general membership last?

I haven't had an entry yet, but am I required now to now show full images? Bc that was my plan from the beginning. I didn't know it was everyone else's plan until now.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
It is kind of a 6 one way and 1/2 dozen the other. I know through experience that I will have A LOT less PM's and that is one reason why I am doing it they way I am. Your contest, your rules, your methods.

Landon

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I had no idea people complained in PM about the quality of the pens you post as entries.

Sure glad I don't run contests, they would not like my reply!!

I have no horse in this race, I think it's a good question and see value in both approaches. I agree completely with "Let the chairman do it his way!!"

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I had no idea people complained in PM about the quality of the pens you post as entries.

I have no horse in this race, I think it's a good question and see value in both approaches. I agree completely with "Let the chairman do it his way!!"
Ed, Ed, Ed, you have been around long enough to know that there are those who make it their life's mission to find something to complain about. I have to use great restraint in some of my PM replies. As I said it is 6 one way 1/2 dozen the other.

On a side note I do have a list of names from last year that informed me how they would have entered except for they felt intimidated by previous entries.
I fully expect those on that list to be entrants this year. Any bets?

mbroberg

LOL....they complain about the quality, they complain about the timing of the posts, they complain about the category groupings, they complain that the contests end on a Thursday. One just has to keep reminding oneself that generally people are much quicker to complain then they are to compliment. But if I get several complaints from different people about the same issue it just MAY be something that needs to be looked at.

Top Bottom