Pool cues???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

We just bought a house and decided to get our pool table setup. Got to talking with the setup guy and he brought making pool cues. It's something I have thought about before. I have grizzly 48" lathe that I figure would work just fine. Does any here make cues? I was wondering what is some recommended equipment for making these? Any help would be appreciated. I hope to have my shop up and running around the beginning of next year.
Thanks, Bobby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joebobber

I had a pool table in my old house and 1 wall was really close to the edge so you couldn't use your cue unless you lift the butt way in the air. I made a mini cue for it that worked out pretty good. It was nothing special though. I had a few extra tips from a cue i recieved and turned a tennon to fit. Then i just tried to shape it like a cue. You would want a 2 piece or more I assume, and I know you can buy those insert kits and they are pretty easy to put in. Wood wise I went with birdseye maple. It seems alot of cues use a maple. The grain you want running lengthwise also for strength. I am interested in doing a full sized cue but have no table so I haven't tried yet. Keep us updated on your progress. For parts try a billiards store. You should be able to find everything.

jttheclockman

I do not make them but have looked into them because I shoot pool. I do not believe your wood lathe would be accurate enough turn a true and balanced stick. Lots go into making even the plainest looking cue. A true cue lathe cost big money. Others will use a metal lathe. Have it been done yes and believe a few have done it here but would only use those for house play. I believe Willie makes them but has a CNC and full size cue lathe.

Last edited:

Paul in OKC

I know a few cue makers and have made fixtures, jigs, patterns, etc. for them. As a machinist I thought about it, but.....nah. Takes more than one would think to make a nice inlayed cue. Pretty cool, but.....

its_virgil

We used to have a cue maker here. His name is William Lee, aka williecue and if I recall he lived in S Texas. I did not look to see if he is still a member. I have a couple of pens he made with the pool cue design.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
PSI has basic instructions for making a pool cue on their web site - link below.. They also published a detailed manual - I don't think it's available on their web site any longer, but it is in the Bushings & Tubes app. Copy attached.

Attachments

• POOL_CUE_MANUAL.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 69

jttheclockman

We used to have a cue maker here. His name is William Lee, aka williecue and if I recall he lived in S Texas. I did not look to see if he is still a member. I have a couple of pens he made with the pool cue design.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
He is still here and he is who I referenced too. He took his talent and makes the popular cue pens also now. He has all the equipment because he makes cue.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/cue-pens.130520/#post-1750474

farmer

We just bought a house and decided to get our pool table setup. Got to talking with the setup guy and he brought making pool cues. It's something I have thought about before. I have grizzly 48" lathe that I figure would work just fine. Does any here make cues? I was wondering what is some recommended equipment for making these? Any help would be appreciated. I hope to have my shop up and running around the beginning of next year.
Thanks, Bobby

You need a taper bar, . Need to choose what kind of joint ( where the cue screws together ) Types are Stainless steel or wood to wood .
Pick the style of making the forearm but section choices is a doweled forearm or not . AND Balance point .
You need a air gun for boring wood and compressor.
A router or veneer trimer on the tool post, 9live cuter.
Need to decide on dimensions so you can set the taper bar and buy sanding mandrels.
Decide on the kind of taper you want on the shaft .
Each half is 29.5 in length
Butt section for example is 0.850 at the joint and 1.350 and the rubber bumper end.

Cue man Billiards ( Chriss Hightower , Price of a person sells books videos on making a cue .
So does Dan Prather, both sale cue making supplies .
Other stuff like linen press, a indexer . 4 axis cnc .

There are harmonic's in cue making .. anything loose will buzz like a bee.

Last edited:

farmer

Nothing beats hands on training

bsshog40

Thanks y'all. I've been reading up a little on making them and beginning to wonder if it's a venture I want to continue. Lol Thanks for info and links. Gonna have to study this a bit more as I know the right tools will cost a bit and it can be very time consuming process.

farmer

Thanks y'all. I've been reading up a little on making them and beginning to wonder if it's a venture I want to continue. Lol Thanks for info and links. Gonna have to study this a bit more as I know the right tools will cost a bit and it can be very time consuming process.
I apprenticed in a custom cue makers ,, factory.
That is your best training .
I season my woods for 15 to 25 years for pool cues .
IMO there is not a market for selling custom pool for unknown cue maker ..
Making a pool cue is more technical because of the harmonics and length .

bsshog40

I apprenticed in a custom cue makers ,, factory.
That is your best training .
I season my woods for 15 to 25 years for pool cues .
IMO there is not a market for selling custom pool for unknown cue maker ..
Making a pool cue is more technical because of the harmonics and length .
Ya, I realize there is a lot to it. The market is here as the only 2 cue makers here are not taking orders as they are backed up for at least a year. I've shot pool for many years. I have shot with cheap sticks and I have a custom McDermott cue as of now. I know it's not like turning a pen. Thanks for your response.

Joebobber

If you decide to try it, it doesn't have to be perfect, and it didn't sound like you were going to make them to sell, but just for yourself. I've seen house cues that I know I can make better than. You don't need to get super fancy, and they have wraps and weights and everything you could need for sale at any billiards supply place.

farmer

Ya, I realize there is a lot to it. The market is here as the only 2 cue makers here are not taking orders as they are backed up for at least a year. I've shot pool for many years. I have shot with cheap sticks and I have a custom McDermott cue as of now. I know it's not like turning a pen. Thanks for your response.
Your looking at a ten year wait for a South West cue . customers are selling there waiting list spot .

I would contact Chriss Hightower tell him your thinking of making pool cues .
Go to The custom cue makers near you and see if there are willing to take on a apprentices .
Join AZ billiards forum
Dan Prather sales pre made butt sections ( you wouldn't need a taper bar or indexer)
So does Schmelke .
might try making a couple sneaky petes. you will need a 3/8 10 tape ..
I will make you a set of trim rings for your first cue free of charge .

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Join AZ billiards forum Best info given. This site is a great source for info and also wealth of talent. Can get a little on the muddy side from time to time.

bsshog40

Your looking at a ten year wait for a South West cue . customers are selling there waiting list spot .

I would contact Chriss Hightower tell him your thinking of making pool cues .
Go to The custom cue makers near you and see if there are willing to take on a apprentices .
Join AZ billiards forum
Dan Prather sales pre made butt sections ( you wouldn't need a taper bar or indexer)
So does Schmelke .
might try making a couple sneaky petes. you will need a 3/8 10 tape ..
I will make you a set of trim rings for your first cue free of charge .
Thanks @farmer I really think I'm just gonna think about it for a while. Our pool table guy just threw the thought into my head and with the other irons in the fire I have going, it may be an expense I'm not ready to tackle yet. I'm pretty ocd with what I do now and I know that it takes a lot of that and time to achieve what I would be happy with. Lol Thanks for the responses y'all. I'll have to let this idea sit a while.

Top Bottom