polyurethane stabilizing ?s

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

eastbay

I know alot of turners on this forum stabilize this way and yes I agree it is a great way for pen blanks. My question is stabilizing lets say 1 1/2 sq x 6 and 2 sq x 6. Has anyone stabilized this thickness and will it penetrate all the way. I think it would be a nice way to on call blanks and knife blocks. Thanks and any info will help. Josh Conner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

Here is one place to look:

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2004/polyurethane1.pdf

It depends on the wood and how long you leave it under vacuum.It also depends on the viscosity of your Poly solution. If it is too thick no amount of vacuum will draw it completely into the wood. A porous wood or a spalted wood will usually absorb the polyurethane all the way through if you leave it under vacuum long enough. And "long enough" will vary from wood to wood.

Sorry I cannot give you a better answer but this is what experience has shown me

loglugger

I should have thought a little more. I use oil based poly in a vacuum, if the wood is realy soft I will use it without thining and the harder the wood the more mineral spirts used up to 50 % Have never tried water based poly or pressure.
Bob

mrplace

No pressure, and I use oil base poly (Minwax in the silver can). I pull several vacuum cycles. A cycle is pulling until the bubbles stop, waiting a few hours, and then releasing the vacuum for an hour or so. I do this several times and then let them soak overnight without a vacuum. I get 100% penetration and they are super saturated.

The major downside is that it takes them forever to dry all the way through. I have some that after a month, would still clog the sand paper. That not a big issue, just let the turned blank sit overnight and it is dry in the morning.

eastbay

That sounds good. It words the same for amboyna as buckeye? Another ? once stabilized with poly will it take any finish besides more poly or CA? I plan on doing some knife scales and pen blanks this weekend. 1 more ? is it similar to plasticizing stabilization. Josh

mrplace

It takes CA, and I don't put as many coats on. It is not the same as the Acrylic treatment done professionally, but it does make the wood hard and you can get a decent shine with just MM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom