Polyurethane glue gone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cmiller

Hi friends, so I went to buy a new bottle of polyurethane glue (its only function for me is gluing the brass tubes inside the blanks), and my local wood store doesn't have it. Neither does Amazon. Is this off the market suddenly? Is Gorilla Glue a good substitute or is there something else?

Attachments

• titebond polyurethane.jpg
    titebond polyurethane.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 37
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Hi friends, so I went to buy a new bottle of polyurethane glue (its only function for me is gluing the brass tubes inside the blanks), and my local wood store doesn't have it. Neither does Amazon. Is this off the market suddenly? Is Gorilla Glue a good substitute or is there something else?
JB Weld is a two part epoxy (5 minute) that works very well for tubes. Stinks a bit though.

jttheclockman

Yes Titebond does not make polyurethane glue. Yes Gorilla glue is the polyurethane glue most people use today if you like that type glue. Not sure if it is a foamy or less foamy than what Titebond use to be but you have little choice. For me I am an epoxy adhesive user. I always use System3 T88 for gluing tubes in.

monophoto

Yes Titebond does not make polyurethane glue. Yes Gorilla glue is the polyurethane glue most people use today if you like that type glue. Not sure if it is a foamy or less foamy than what Titebond use to be but you have little choice. For me I am an epoxy adhesive user. I always use System3 T88 for gluing tubes in.
Gorilla makes several types of glue - PVA, epoxy and polyurethane (and I think I've even seen Gorilla-brand CA) - so you can't go by just the brand name. They also make duct tape. That said, Gorilla-brand polyurethane is pretty good - and I believe was the first product they sold. The brand gained widespread recognition as polyurethane glue, so polyurethane glue is often generically called Gorilla glue - just like Kleenex as a brand is often applied across the board to tissues regardless of who actually makes them.

Top Bottom