polyester resin bleed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

schellfarms

I'm starting to play with PR and epoxy resin for inlay into pens in addition to casting blanks. With regard to the inlay, should I be worried that the resins will bleed color into the surrounding wood? Is there a work around for this? I don't think that the resins won't stick to anything oily, so coating the inlay area with something oily to act as a barrier might cause other problems. Can anyone advise me?

its_virgil

The resin doesn't effect the snake skins. Some guys (see YoYo spin's album)even print things on inkjet printers and glue the printed image to the brass tube and cast around that; the resin does not bother the ink. I think others have cut designs into wooden pen barrels and poured PR in with no problem. For inlays, colored two part epoxy works very well and is less of a hassel than PR. Go for it!
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by schellfarms
<br />I'm starting to play with PR and epoxy resin for inlay into pens in addition to casting blanks. With regard to the inlay, should I be worried that the resins will bleed color into the surrounding wood? Is there a work around for this? I don't think that the resins won't stick to anything oily, so coating the inlay area with something oily to act as a barrier might cause other problems. Can anyone advise me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom