PM2020 issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

Yesterday, as I was turning a small Cocobolo bowl, I had the BIGGEST catch ever! The bowl stayed on, I didn't get whupped too bad, all of which is really, really good. I think that I may have not paid enough attention to where my tool rest was (I was above center), and was cutting very carefully, but BANG! My lathe stopped dead in its tracks, and it would not start again. I checked the belts; I checked if it would turn manually; all good. I then disconnected power from the lathe, waited a minute or so, and plugged it in again. The lathe started up just fine. I surmise that the electronics reset due to the significant catch.

Have any of you experienced anything like this? Is there anything I should do now?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KLJ

Yes it happened with me when I had the Rikon lathe. I think it must have been a safety thing with the lathe, it was definetly electrical. I was just thankful when it came back on and I used it for the next 3 years with no problem.

philipff

Did you push the reset /flashing red button on the electronic controller, then push the forward button? My 2035 has such buttons and I am curious if yours does as well???? P.

Warren White

Finally got to talk to the Powermatic folks. They confirmed that when the catch occurred, it caused the inverter to trip. As I indicated in my first post, I unplugged the lathe, waited a minute or two and plugged it back in. Everything was fine. The tech said I could have pressed the reset button (which wasn't flashing) and have accomplished the same thing, but it wasn't necessary.

Thanks for the advice and counsel from the forum... Always a great place to get answers and help.

Warren White

For those interested, here is the finished bowl that I was working on when the catch occurred very early into the turning
IMG_0118.jpg
Not too bad; the photography is just my iPhone.

Top Bottom