Plexco?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

One of the functions of my work group is to investigate natural gas incidents. We have a collection of piping from incidents so I cut off a section of one of the exhibits with the thought that I might make some pens for my inspectors. This particular section of pipe was damaged by an excavator with a subsequent ignition of the gas.I think the brand name of the pipe is plexco but it has no markings on the pipe so I am not sure. I made this slimline to test the material. I am not quite happy with the finish and need to try some different approaches.

C2F64B87-122A-4E88-8BAB-AFE742CC1D64.jpeg

C8350A0F-F4B5-4218-B515-67908F26C885.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm a retired natural gas engineer. Worked most of my career at 2 gas distribution companies in Ohio and Michigan. The pipe predominantly used in gas distribution systems was/is medium or high density polyethylene. My company was one of the last to use the high density PE. Several manufacturers, Plexco being one of them. If memory serves me right, Plexco's PE was orange.
As to its suitability for pens, PE is different than, say, PVC. PVC is "hard" but gets brittle as it gets cold - bad for gas pipe. PE gets stronger. The downside of this is that PE gets softer as it gets higher in temperature. It might machine ok but not sure if it could be polished. Great opportunity to try, though!

TonyL

Smith makes a device. If I knew I could touch CA with a flame and not have it blow up in my face, I would get it tomorrow. A member,posted a you tube polishing a duck call. I was very impressed.
Tony - Medium density polyethylene (which this appears to be) isn't highly flammable (used for natural gas pipe). You can see on the pic below the pen there are scorch marks from where the gas burned. In fact, the method most commonly used to join pieces of this material by gas companies is called "heat fusion". It involves melting the surfaces to be joined and bringing them together under mild pressure. Produces a weld-like joint.

Top Bottom