Platinum Pen Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ttpenman

I turned my first CSUSA platinum pens this weekend. 2 Gentlemens and 2 Jr. Gentlemens + 2 platinum letter openers. They came out quite nice. But, when i looked them over last night a noticed that the plating was frosted in some areas. Also the refill was discolored. Would not wipe off. I am assuming that the plating reacted with the CA that I used to assemble the pen. (seems to be in the right areas) Has anyone had a similar problem? After mild panic that my days work was lost, I was able to wipe off the discoloration with acetone. (CA solvent) I thought that was the answer but the problem has come back today. I am hoping that the CA fumes will eventually fade. The frost seems a little less today than last night. This has never happened with any gold plating.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

Same happened to me on my first El Grande Streamlined Pt.
Help: Use epoxy glue for glueing pen parts together, no fumes here. Also, if you have to use CA do not put the glued pen/parts in a sealed container (like plastic bag, pen box or else), let them just sit overnite so the fumes can dissipate.

Rudy

Daniel

I have heard several times that the Platinum finishes will react to CA.
the satin nickle finishes also have a problem of yellowing after time.

melchioe

Do they react to fully cured CA? Wow, if so, another argument for Gorilla; but has real impact for CA finishes. Will letting parts sit to fully cure help at all? Does an accelerator (before assembly, of course) help?

Scott

I have been using LocTite blue to assemble my pens. I don't think I have seen any effect on the platinum finish.

Scott.

jrc

They use super glue to get finger prints off things. They put some in a small container and item with finger prints next to it in a larger container and seal it up and the fumes makes the prints look white. I made that same mistake with the gent jr and now I let it set over night and now I have no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom