planers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chuckw3

Good day folks

I am planning on purchasing a 13" planer and need some input.

My choices are:

1) DeWalt DW- DW745

2) General 30005SHCMT (Helical Head)

The price isn't a factor as both are on sale and after getting ,stand, wings etc.

they will be within a few dollars of each other.

Thanks for now
Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I think you meant the DeWalt DW- DW735

What are the replacement blade costs? Availability? Ease of blade changes?
Knowing that "might" weigh in the favor of one over the other?

I have used the Dewalt (limited use) and it seems to be a very good for a portable unit. I have no experience with the General.

Don't know if it helps you decide or not, but I have had a DW735 for a number of years now, put lots of board feet of lumber through it, and it still responds flawlessly..

i know its not one of your options but i have the 13" rigid and have been very happy with it. and if i remember correctly from my shopping i think it was in the same price range. and was suprised to find it came with an extra set of blades.

I think you meant the DeWalt DW- DW735

What are the replacement blade costs? Availability? Ease of blade changes?
Knowing that "might" weigh in the favor of one over the other?

I have used the Dewalt (limited use) and it seems to be a very good for a portable unit. I have no experience with the General.

Lenny
yes should have been DW735, good questions on the blade changing The General being a helical cutting head has 26 inserts so I would guess be longer to change. I haven't got a fix on the blade cost yet.

Do you get a better cut with the helical or three blade?
Chuck

Do you get a better cut with the helical or three blade?
Chuck

I can't answer from experience but I believe the helical theoretically will give a better cut ..... practically though, unless you are planning lots of highly figured wood, bird's eye maple for example, I think you would be just as happy with the three blades.

As far as finished surface, snip, etc. they do just as good or better than our 24" Bridgewood! IMO :)

Don't know about the General but, I bought my DW733 15 years ago and have run MILES of wood through it and except for 2 sets of blades one spare and one ruined by someone trying to be helpful and tried to sharpen them and cut a massive curve into the blade. I haven't spent a dime on it. DeWalt does make a very reliable tool.

I have both the 12.5 in dewalt and the 13 inch

The 12.5 is easier on blades dont ask me why but I can run much more BF before I need to change

The dewalts both have reversible blade so you get 2 sets for one

The 13inch unit costs much more and comes without in feed our out feed tables

Back
Top Bottom