Pizza Cutters for Christmas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I found some 4" pizza cutter kits on the closeout shelf at Woodcraft a while back, so I bought several & made a couple for Christmas gifts. The hardware is fairly heavy duty, do i made hefty handles for a good grip & balance. They can also be used as home defense devices.

I forgot to take a photo of the other one before I wrapped it.

Attachments

• FA481224-4DDC-40C0-9013-9F64EE67BA9D.jpeg
    FA481224-4DDC-40C0-9013-9F64EE67BA9D.jpeg
    709.8 KB · Views: 110
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RichAldrich

I found some 4" pizza cutter kits on the closeout shelf at Woodcraft a while back, so I bought several & made a couple for Christmas gifts. The hardware is fairly heavy duty, do i made hefty handles for a good grip & balance. They can also be used as home defense devices.

I forgot to take a photo of the other one before I wrapped it.
How long is the handle for the home defense devices?

montmill

Very pretty cutter. Did you glue the cutter in or thread it in? I ask because I've had trouble with it twisting when using. I put some blue loctite on it. Sometimes the crusts require some serious pushing to cut through.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Very pretty cutter. Did you glue the cutter in or thread it in? I ask because I've had trouble with it twisting when using. I put some blue loctite on it. Sometimes the crusts require some serious pushing to cut through.
Thanks - the kits came with a threaded insert so the hardware can be unscrewed for washing.

The instructions said to drill a 12.5mm hole in hard woods or a 12mm hole in soft woods. Silly me, I didn't drill a test hole in scrap wood first. I drilled a 12.5mm hole in this olive wood, then turned & finished the handle & when I started to assemble it, the insert just slid into the hole. I solved the problem by swabbing some CA glue in the hole, then driving a 1/2" dowel into it, then redriled it with a 12mm bit. Perfect fit for threading in the insert - I used 5 minute epoxy to make sure it doesn't back out when removing the cutter, but it's a snug enough fit that that might not be a problrm

I haven't tried actually slicing pizza with it, but I did press down on a piece of cardboard fairly hard and it seems to be quite stable.

The PSI Pro Pizza Cutter seems very similar to this one.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
nice, my guess it is Pecan.

Do I win the prize
It's Australian Olivewood that I got from George Valentine (Robutacion) a couple of years ago.

I bought about 20# of 1.5", 2", and 3" spindles from him back when he was still able to offer reasonable shipping rates to the USA.

sorcerertd

Piiiiiizzaaaaa! I ate a bunch of that today.

That is a nice looking piece of wood. I'm curious about that notch/hole near the blade. Is there a specific reason for it being there that you are aware of?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Piiiiiizzaaaaa! I ate a bunch of that today.

That is a nice looking piece of wood. I'm curious about that notch/hole near the blade. Is there a specific reason for it being there that you are aware of?
No idea - my only guess is that it might be for hanging it on a hook or nail.

If anyone knows for sure, please chime in.

Top Bottom