Picked up another lathe tonight..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Bought this off Craigs list today for $50.00 It's a 11" x 36" Delta with the No.2 morse taper and a 1" x 8 tpi headstock. The base has some very heavy cast iron legs, they are decieving in the photo as to the weight. Can't wait to finish up the refurb on this one!

Take a peek at the last web link on my sig. line and check out some of the other lathes I have refurbed. ;)

delta-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCWoodworks

You have done some great refurbs. I have a few questions about your rust removal tank. Do you have a diagram or anything you went by to set it up? I can understand most of it through the pics on your site, but was wondering if there is anything clear cut about it you can send me. I have alot of planes and tools I have bought from auctions, etc that need refurbed. I have been doing it the old fashioned way....elbow grease and oilstones!! From what I gather in the pics, the negative post has another wire and gator clip inside to contact with whatever your cleaning. Where did you pick up the steel anodes? Can you use any type bolt and washer? Thanks for any advice you can give me, and great job on all the tools you have refurbed!

Firefyter-emt

The anodes ae just common flat stock steel bought at the hardware store. It was left over from my 60lb cement filled steel reinforced mailbox [}:)]

You can get away with just one anode, but they work in a "line of sight" better, so I went a little overboard. Add washing soda to a mix of 1 table spoon per gallon (baking soda "can" work, but washing soda is best.) and hook the charger up to it. If I leave it in the shop, I like to have the window open and a fan blowing out to clear the fumes. I have never noticed anything,but just on the safe side ya know!

If that don't help, feel free to ask!

DCWoodworks

What type of wire did you use for yours? Is it basic power wire? What setting do you have your charger set to? I have a schumacher also, and it has trickle, 6amp, and 12amp settings. Thanks for the info! I think this is my next "to-do" job!

Firefyter-emt

Hey, The wire is just 16 gauge automotive wire, I "start the soup" on the higher setting to get things going for about 1/2 and hour then kick it down to the low 12 volt setting for about 24 hours.

jben

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />Getting close to being done! More photos on my home web site under the shop section.

delta-22.jpg

delta-24.jpg

Hey Lee,

You sure didn't waste time getting started, I was waiting to see the revised Pen Press with Corian parts. heheh Is the Delta Decals new or recovered from the lathe?

Firefyter-emt

No, they are the original nameplates from the lathe. I have figured out how to make the lower sand box / shelf, so just a few more ideas to mull over in my head for the top before I can start in on the wood. (Maple laminated)

DFM

Just refinish the existing wood. The wood looks in good shape, just sand it down or plane off a thin layer and re-varnish.

Firefyter-emt

Yes, it is indexable, and if you look close you will see that there are two set of indexing hole patterns to choose from if I change the pin location.

DFM, the wood is worse than it looks. A prior owner had lost the proper banjo lock plate and the one he was using would not clear the casting ribs. So instead of finding or making the right one, he cut the wood out of the center of the bench top, or should I say hacked. Plus the lower shelf has had at least half 10 diffrent motors hacked on to it (see the "before photo" for some high end hacking) Plus, it is only pine I think. I plan to make a laminated maple top and the lower shelf will be reworked quite a bit to include a lipped shelf and a shallow sand box.

I have also upgraded the headstock to use modern oil seals. I only needed to clearance .5mm off the bearing caps with my metal lathe. Much nicer than the original leather seals

delta-32.jpg

delta-36.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom