Photos with "Gallery" Images from last software

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm curious if there is a way for us to go back to previous threads that we feel valuable and be able to reformat the photos so they are accessible. The threads are still there, but "Gallery" formatted photos are not accessible.

Some previous threads this would be nice, but not necessarily all. Can individual members have access and be able to take it on themselves to edit their previous photo formats?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Mark,

Jeff will be able to answer this, of course, as you know.
I think he's overwhelmed right now.
Ask him if the images are still on the old server. Plans to bring them back?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark,

Jeff will be able to answer this, of course, as you know.
I think he's overwhelmed right now.
Ask him if the images are still on the old server. Plans to bring them back?

I'm in no hurry. Just a thought that came up. No need for a quick fix. I'll check in weekly.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'm curious if there is a way for us to go back to previous threads that we feel valuable and be able to reformat the photos so they are accessible. The threads are still there, but "Gallery" formatted photos are not accessible.

Some previous threads this would be nice, but not necessarily all. Can individual members have access and be able to take it on themselves to edit their previous photo formats?

It's definitely something that needs doing. I could give everyone rights to go back and edit everything they've ever posted, but I don't know if that would be helpful. There are multiple things that can be wrong, and multiple ways to fix things.

I can do global search and replace if it's a matter of changing image tags. Can you give me a few different URLs with varying image problems? I'll try to see if there's a way for me to fix large numbers of posts via some database queries.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
It's definitely something that needs doing. I could give everyone rights to go back and edit everything they've ever posted, but I don't know if that would be helpful. There are multiple things that can be wrong, and multiple ways to fix things.

I can do global search and replace if it's a matter of changing image tags. Can you give me a few different URLs with varying image problems? I'll try to see if there's a way for me to fix large numbers of posts via some database queries.

This thread is an example: https://www.penturners.org/threads/diamonds-finally.157403/

Speaking only for myself, older threads that I feel are helpful to others to see the pictures is a reasonably small number that I would have no issue editing/ reposting pictures if that is an option. And it certainly could be done at my convenience over a few months. For the long-term, having the pictures in the threads would be helpful to others - and as one who enjoys looking at older threads from other IAP members, I would like to see the older pictures.

But, I also do understand that some things simply will need to be accepted - updates are vital, and a few past elements may not be transferable.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I checked out the Segmenting Thread and viewed the last 3 pages, about 1/3 - 1/2 of the photos are in "Gallery" mode.

If individual members are able to assist I suspect you'll get volunteers for their own threads. But from a historical perspective, a global fix would be nice to save the photos from those that are not active any longer. (And I know you realize this already).

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I believe I've got a good workaround in place for the photos that used the zoom feature. Check out a few threads where that was used (the two quoted above, for instance) and see if what I've got in place is reasonable. I didn't want to bring back the zoom feature. I implemented that because of the prior forum software's posted photo size limits. It never worked very well across the variety of handhelds, so we're better off without it. So instead of zooming when you click, it open the full sized image. The "view in gallery" link below takes you to the image in the media gallery in case you want to see any comments, etc.

Let me know what you think.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The "Zoom Feature" link is not working for me.

BUT, the Link to the "Diamonds...Finally!" came up crystal clear, very nice.

Last edited:

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
The "Zoom Feature" link is not working for me.

BUT, the Link to the "Diamonds...Finally!" came up crystal clear, very nice.

That's just an underline, not a link :)

I was trying to emphasize that this is the zoom feature issue and not the other broken link issue.

Top Bottom