peppermill #2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

From Walnut received in a drawing at my local wood turners meeting. not bad for a buck entry... and theres enough to make another. The top (detail) had some splitting from the end shrinkage and IMHO adds interest.

200812511563_WALNUT%20PEPPERMILL%20005.jpg

2008125115617_WALNUT%20PEPPERMILL%20011.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Looks good!!

If you display it at a craft show, put a little pepper in it.

People will first turn it over and look at the bottom (I have no idea why), then they will turn the top. SHOCKS the heck out of them if pepper comes out. AND, it gives you the opportunity to explain how the grind is adjustable (seems some WalMart models don't have this feature). You'll have MANY conversations before you sell it (priced at $50 or over), but SOME of those people will be back in future shows.

FWIW

Originally posted by ed4copies

Looks good!!

People will first turn it over and look at the bottom (I have no idea why), then they will turn the top. SHOCKS the heck out of them if pepper comes out. AND, it gives you the opportunity to explain how the grind is adjustable (seems some WalMart models don't have this feature). You'll have MANY conversations before you sell it (priced at $50 or over), but SOME of those people will be back in future shows.

FWIW
Thanks, Ed. I have it sold already for $50.00,as it is my 2nd mill but first 10" size. I will charge mor from now on as it takes more skill and time than the 6" did.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"Going rate" on the internet is about $1 per inch.

6"=$60
10"=$100

Usually for laminated exotic woods, however.
I try to stay between $40 and $70, except for laminates, where I am about 15% lower than the above numbers. I don't sell a LOT, but I don't want to MAKE a LOT of them - that hole is a pain!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Woodlvr

Ed are you starting the weekend party early?:D[:p][}:)];)[:eek:)]

Mike

Believe it or not, I am deep in calculations regarding the true cost per copy of a color copy, based on actual yields of the required supplies as well as the TRUE anticipated image area, instead of the "industry accepted" 5% that will never happen in real life, with color.

Aren't you SORRY:(:(:(:(:(:( you asked???[:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

Looks good!!

FWIW
Second the motion.. a little pepper seems to legitamize (if such a word) the pepper mill... I also buy a bottle of pepper corns at Wallyworld and repackage into little plastic envelopes... about 2 tsp each.. and give that with each peppermill I sell.

This also gives you opportunity to "test" the mill and make sure it works...

"Going rate" on the internet is about $1 per inch.

6"=$60
10"=$100

Usually for laminated exotic woods, however.
I try to stay between $40 and $70, except for laminates, where I am about 15% lower than the above numbers. I don't sell a LOT, but I don't want to MAKE a LOT of them - that hole is a pain!!!

Ed, the end results are worth the pain... you know "no pain, no gain"

Actually, pricing is about right.. I don't make the standards with the kurl knob on top.. I prefer the Crush Grind because I can be more creative (Read that as "not having to be exact with my measurements :D) and I price about like your suggestion, but will add for more exotic woods.. I just wholesaled about 10 or 15 recently and got about $35 - $50 per each..

I also stopped doing the 3 different sizes for the body that directions call for... I cut the bottom at 1 3/4 so you can reach up and adjust the grind, the switch to the 1 15/16 for the body of the grinder, then just cut all the way through with that bit... directions call for dropping down to a 1 1/16 or some such size.. my way gives more volume for the pepper. I cut a tenon in the top to fit down into the body and keep it from wobbling around.
I've done that on the few "standard" - (Knurly Knob styles) so as to give the mill a more substantial feel.

Glenn,
All of my posting, I still never complimented you on the mill.. it's beautiful and I like the use of the "crack" accent.. I like the sleek modern shape too.. I think a simpler shape shows off the wood more than one with all the grooves and beads does.. very very nicely done..

Originally posted by arioux

Hi,

Very nice work, i like the shape very much too. Do you have to finish the interior of do you leave it just plain wood?

Alfred
I smooth it out as best I can, though I didnt use anything as a finish inside. It is only my second mill and I am still learning, if someone uses an interior finish, I'd like to know. Dont know what is worse, dust from the finish or from the wood coming out with the pepper as I am sure the pepper corns will work either off while being ground.

Glenn,
On some of my mills I spray a water based varethane inside... just use a rattle can and try to make sure I cover well.. the water base doesn't impart so much of a paint smell... if you use oil base, you need to let it air for a week or two to get the smell out... I don't spray all of them, mostly the spalted woods and cedars..

Top Bottom