People taking advantage of people

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

Bobby; Don't report it to Ebay. Find out the location and report it to the Attorney General of the State it is located in.
By the time I do that and they see the report, the auction will be over. I had already found another earlier and reported it. Ebay took the auction down, the seller instantly put it back up with a buy it now of $500 and it sold instantly.

leehljp

Member Liaison
He is getting away with it because he is not establishing a price. It is a bidding war. (I do NOT approve of it).
The State of Texas AG is going after a similar case now, but the seller is claiming he did not establish a price other than a $1 start.

What the dumb bidders don't have enough sense to think about is that they could get a good seamstress to make 10 with enough layers to make it N95 for $50. $75 max.

I know that charity auctions do this and thousands of dollars are paid for a $50 item in the name of charity. These guys are claiming similar. It may cause a revision of laws that deal with emergency situations with critical needs products.

I remember the oil shortage of 73-74. Most oil companies were selling gas at $0.25 to $0.30 when it struck. Nixon froze the gas prices to prevent gouging. But suddenly gas was selling at $.40 minimum. The oil company arguments were - the prices were at $.40 (40 cents) but we were giving rebates of variable amounts based on volume. Since the price was froze, they withdrew their "rebate" or what ever term they used, to the customer (service station owners) and the price was suddenly 40 cents a gallon minimum.

Last edited:

Argo13

I looked at the bidding history. He started the bid at 99 cents with no reserve. It rose to this level through a bidding war. Probably legal, ( unless he is somehow raising the bid) just not ethical given the circumstances.

dogcatcher

I looked at the bidding history. He started the bid at 99 cents with no reserve. It rose to this level through a bidding war. Probably legal, ( unless he is somehow raising the bid) just not ethical given the circumstances.
I would say if the bidders are legit it is ethical, the bidders raised the price, not the seller.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Well, what do you know. I had a box of dusk masks I bought over a year ago and didnt think anything about them. Last week I saw an ad that my local hospitals were looking for masks and other supplies. I thought they only needed the flat kind but they had pictures of the kind I had so I thought I would give a look. What do you know 3m N95 rated masks. Still had 25 left. Gave 6 to my wife for her and her coworkers as they have to go into places like hospitals, retirement communities, and other high risk areas. Gave the rest to my nieghbor who is a surgical nurse to take in so they could be used. Looks like I had a small fortune from someone elses misfortune but thats ok I wont be missing any sleep over it and I'd do it again.

More4dan

Well, what do you know. I had a box of dusk masks I bought over a year ago and didnt think anything about them. Last week I saw an ad that my local hospitals were looking for masks and other supplies. I thought they only needed the flat kind but they had pictures of the kind I had so I thought I would give a look. What do you know 3m N95 rated masks. Still had 25 left. Gave 6 to my wife for her and her coworkers as they have to go into places like hospitals, retirement communities, and other high risk areas. Gave the rest to my nieghbor who is a surgical nurse to take in so they could be used. Looks like I had a small fortune from someone elses misfortune but thats ok I wont be missing any sleep over it and I'd do it again.

Think of the tax deduction using the EBay case to establish the market value of your donations.

We picked up dinner curbside, trying to support our local businesses. Included in the bag when we got home was a roll of TP. Earned our business in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

That 3-pack of N95 masks is now up to $1,025.00.

Retail price at Lowes (if available) is $5.97.

(Hope I am comparing apples and apples).

eharri446

I got an email from I think it was Banggood with a 10 pack for $21.95. That sounds reasonable, however they may not get here for four to six weeks.

TonyL

Whether one believes that humankind is 6,000 or 6 millions years old, there have been a minority of people that have "sucked" for that long. When I read about this stuff (the abuses), I lean to the ocean scum theory of creation.

mick

My better half sells on Ebay and she tells ne that people will have Shill bidders to drive the price up. Some people will get caught up in a bidding war and have paid an enormous before they realize it. People that post these type items know this and play on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

target64

First off it is an auction so the seller is not setting the price. Secondly, yes there are many fake accounts on eBay. Take a look for the $18,000 toilet paper auction that was on last week. People do silly crap all the time for a look at me moment in their boring life. Slow down have fun be safe.

Last edited:

TonyL

My better half sells on Ebay and she tells ne that people will have Shill bidders to drive the price up. Some people will get caught up in a bidding war and have paid an enormous before they realize it. People that post these type items know this and play on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Bank foreclosures, auto auctions use shills all the time.

jttheclockman

I know for fact ebay uses shills. I see it in various things I have bid at and I call out some sellers for it. You have to be very careful on Fleebay. This account that has the masks looks like it was legit to start but something has gone weird. I believe the bid will be cancelled just before the time limit is up to do so. Something fishy is going on with that auction.

I know for fact ebay uses shills. I see it in various things I have bid at and I call out some sellers for it. You have to be very careful on Fleebay. This account that has the masks looks like it was legit to start but something has gone weird. I believe the bid will be cancelled just before the time limit is up to do so. Something fishy is going on with that auction.
One of the reasons I don't buy on ebay... I've sold there a couple of times, but it's not worth my time or effort usually.

He is getting away with it because he is not establishing a price. It is a bidding war. (I do NOT approve of it).
The State of Texas AG is going after a similar case now, but the seller is claiming he did not establish a price other than a $1 start.

What the dumb bidders don't have enough sense to think about is that they could get a good seamstress to make 10 with enough layers to make it N95 for $50. $75 max.

I know that charity auctions do this and thousands of dollars are paid for a $50 item in the name of charity. These guys are claiming similar. It may cause a revision of laws that deal with emergency situations with critical needs products.

I remember the oil shortage of 73-74. Most oil companies were selling gas at $0.25 to $0.30 when it struck. Nixon froze the gas prices to prevent gouging. But suddenly gas was selling at $.40 minimum. The oil company arguments were - the prices were at $.40 (40 cents) but we were giving rebates of variable amounts based on volume. Since the price was froze, they withdrew their "rebate" or what ever term they used, to the customer (service station owners) and the price was suddenly 40 cents a gallon minimum.

I remember the oil days Hank. It caused quite a stir in the U.S. but I was stationed overseas and was used to paying $4.00 a gallon. When I got home everyone was in a uproar over having to pay $.60 a gallon. Heck, I was a happy camper.

And to your point about dumb people, like told Chuck (Dalecamino) the other day, "You can't stop stupid".

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Even if it sells at the $3650 its at now with 37 min. left there is a good chance that the buyer will default and is just driving the price up to keep people from buying it.

bsshog40

I got to also thinking last night if it might be gov't agencies doing the bidding? They were given permission and money to buy anywhere. I also know about shill bidders too. I've been dealing with ebay for 20yrs. So much has changed on there since then.

jokker78

I gave a box away of those mask today.
The lady wanted to pay me.
I told her if we make thought all this craziness. Just buy me some more later.

sbwertz

It's probably fake. They got a bunch of people to bid on it and then "bought" it themselves just for the publicity...to "go viral."

Top Bottom