Pens made from Mahogany, Bloodwood, Walnut, Red Oak and ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Parr

Dan Parr

Made these pens over the last few days. I am trying to build an inventory to sell. However I love the look on peoples faces when I give them one of these as a gift. So far Slimline and Cigar pens are all I have ever done. Any suggestions as to what kit to try next?

Attachments

• IMG_0614.JPG
    IMG_0614.JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 241
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

You might try a Sierra, Executive, EDC, or a Glacia. The first three are from PSI, and the last one is from Exotic Blanks.

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska - I started with Slimline but quickly transitioned to a Comfort style by buying Comfort Center Bands and Bushings to convert my Slimlines into Cofmort - without the rubber grip. Essentially a Slimline with a larger diameter center band. The benefit was that I could continue to use the less expensive Slimline kit and still turn a heavier pen without so much corset like appearance because of the tiny Slimline center band.

In keeping with the 7mm kits, I next bought a collection of PSI Designer NT, Euro style kits, then Cigar.

The next was a step up to the Jr. Series to try using Rollerball instead of the Cross and Parker style refills. I use the basic Junior Gentleman kits from "The Woodturning Store" as they are in the same price range as Cigar kits.

Nearly all of my finished pens are made up of these few styles with the exception of a few Sierra and special themed styles.

Good Luck and Best Regards,
Dave

PS Most of my pens are either given away to friends, made for our Church to give as gifts to graduating seniors, or are just collecting in my private collection. The Church pens were a Sierra style called "Elegant Monarch" with little crosses on the center band. The kits were a little more expensive, but I could get 2 pens from a single "Bethlehem Olive Wood" blank since they are a single tube kit.

studioseven

Ben, Checking your posts and introduction, you seem to be a newer turner. If so your pens look great, especially the finishes. Also I see several that have segmenting. Did you make those blanks? If so you are way ahead of the curve. There are a score of single blank kits you should try to give your inventory more variety. There are a lot of Sierra style kits you could try and many of the venders that post on this site carry them. Now keep in mind that there are different "strokes for different folks" but the next time you turn a slimline try making the blank a little narrower. From my eyes, it seems to look nicer. Again, I really like your work and thanks for posting. I look forward to seeing your newer work.

Seven

Dan Parr

Thanks Guys there are a lot of good suggestions here. Yes I do make my own blanks and I love trying different materials. Well looks like I've got to get on line and start ordering some kits

cynot

Those are nice pens. You will find that the different pen kit suppliers online sell the same pen kits under different names. For example, Cigar and Big Ben kits are the same as well as Sierra, Gatsby and Wall St. II. I like the Sierra/Gatsby kits because I can turn two at a time. I often buy the starter kits from Penn State because you get the bushings as well as a few kits in different finishes. If you like click pens, I prefer the Gatsby Click pen and the Compson pen. Both are from PSI. Their click mechanisms are by far the most reliable. I would stay away from the Woodcraft Wall St II and III Click pen kits.

penicillin

Why not pencils? A matching pen/pencil set can be special, and you don't have to buy another set of bushings, either.

Old feller

Made these pens over the last few days. I am trying to build an inventory to sell. However I love the look on peoples faces when I give them one of these as a gift. So far Slimline and Cigar pens are all I have ever done. Any suggestions as to what kit to try next?
Hi I have stuck with the Slimline as I have a market for them. You can still make rhem any shape you want. I have also started to make them from Acrylic. Have a few things to change with them

Madman1978

Nice work

Try the Groove Twist. They are as simple as the Slimline. I also love the Le Roi Pens. Nice long blank to show off in one piece.

Top Bottom