Pens by Mark G

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan

Hi Kenn,

Thanks for the link. Very nice!

Curious about this nitrocellulose lacquer finish.
Anyone ever work with it, and is it fairly hazardous/dangerous (flammable, toxic, etc.)

pecartus

Check it out on google search, this stuff is a spray laquer that is used mainly on music instruments, such as guitars. Has a tendency to yellow unless a laquer retardent is used in conjunction with it and with a cellulose base, you will need good air ventilation and a mask to protect you from fumes. A very close relative to it is Cellulose Acrylic (CAB) which is used on car finishes by auto makers. It does dry fast by evaporation process. I have used this in the past on some wood furniture I made to get that mirror look, which it did, but did give me a yellowing effect that looked nice on the maple I was using but I wouldnt think it would look very good on darker woods or burls. Didnt stick with it because of fumes and such. One of my woodworking buddies uses it on his guitars and swears by it. But each to thier own.

ilikewood

Tri-Nitrocellulose in the dry form is also know as gunpowder. It is a soluble type "plastic" the disolves readily in many solvents. It is the solvent that usually makes it flammable in the liquid form, and depending on the solvent, the difference in flammability. Most solvents are hazardous in some form or another whether flammable or toxic fumes. Just always handle them with care. (and please don't try and dissolve gunpowder into a solvent as the wrong combo could be hazardous)

Most nitrocellulose today is made from cotton, but it can easily be made from wood fibers as well. The cellulose is nitrated (usually with nitric acid and a catalyst I wont name) and turns into a liquid and then precipitated back into water. A rather dangerous process if done wrong. The water soaked nitro is very stable, and can be used for a variety of products (including mixing it with lacquers and solvents to produce a very good coating). One of the reasons it is fairly strong is it is still fiberous...like clear fiberglass...just on a molecular level.

Bill in Idaho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom