pencil kit problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Canuckskie

Hi everyone, been making pen/pencil sets for an order and these pencil kits have been a real pain.
Some of the kits work fine by themselves, eject lead as they should but once inserted into the turned pencil they seem to just jam, pushing the top button to eject lead just stays inserted for some reason. I have checked to make sure they didn't get crimped when pressing into the tube but looks good. I'm thinking they're just low grade parts as I've never had this problem with pencil kits before, Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Hi Octave !! . Warm welcome to IAP !! . :D

It would help a lot if you would please specify the exact kit that you are using ( kit name and vendor ) .
Without that info it is hard to know what the problem could be.

Roly

Had a similar problem with the workshop pencil kits I bought from an Australian supplier. Different to those I got from America which gave no problems whatsoever. Couldn't fix the problem so I had to write it off to experience.

peter1958

Had the same problem some time ago. But i discovered that both halves were a little out of alignment.
I corrected that and no problems anymore

darrin1200

Welcome aboard Octave.
There could be a few possible issues. As Mal mentioned it would help to know the kit, and perhaps see a picture of the finished pen.
While it could be a problem with the kit, it could also be the length of the pen barrel or as mentioned above, the alignment.

Canuckskie

Thanks for the replies, kits were the Budget Fancy Slimline kits from penblanks.ca
I've used their kits before and never had any issues. Clicker part doesn't seem to be the issue but rather the little pressed in part at the bottom that the pencil part seats into, a few feel tight when inserting the workings and screwing on the nibs. Tubes are the right length and top and bottom parts appear to be good alignment, I know tolerances are pretty close so it very well could be assembly issue but 2 of the workings don't work properly right out of the package, I guess I won't be buying budget kits again...

Edit - Your comments about alignment got me thinking, I twisted the top/bottom parts at the coupler on one that wasn't working and got it to work properly, all good now except for the one kit that doesn't work right out of the kit. Thanks everyone, love this group..

Last edited:

darrin1200

Thanks for the replies, kits were the Budget Fancy Slimline kits from penblanks.ca
I've used their kits before and never had any issues. Clicker part doesn't seem to be the issue but rather the little pressed in part at the bottom that the pencil part seats into, a few feel tight when inserting the workings and screwing on the nibs. Tubes are the right length and top and bottom parts appear to be good alignment, I know tolerances are pretty close so it very well could be assembly issue but 2 of the workings don't work properly right out of the package, I guess I won't be buying budget kits again...

Edit - Your comments about alignment got me thinking, I twisted the top/bottom parts at the coupler on one that wasn't working and got it to work properly, all good now except for the one kit that doesn't work right out of the kit. Thanks everyone, love this group..
Glad your getting it figured out. My own personal opinion on "Budget" anything, is that you get what you get. I only go with budget if I feel the price is low enough that I can accept problems. ( As long as its not many)

That said, give Bill a call over at Wood-Write. They have always been good with me about making it right if there was a problem.

Top Bottom