Pen styles for different manufacturers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrich7970

So, I'm a little kerflemt...

I got three Slimline pen kits from Rockler, turned them with varying success. Wanting to do more, I bought a few Slimlines from Penn State. And, I just happened to be at a Woodcraft store today, and bought some extra tubes (sized for their Slimline pens) just in case.

Just on a whim, I decided to see if the size of the tubes match. They match in diameter, but not length. The Woodcraft ones are slightly longer than the PSI ones, and the PSI ones appear to be slightly longer than the Rockler ones (although I had to judge not by the tube, but by the length of the pen component.

I realize that they are all different manufactures (maybe), but if this is the case, is the transmission a different size too? Because if not, then I will have to insert the transmission further in to the pen to get the tip to stick out enough.

Or, should I cut the replacement tubes to match the length of the PSI tubes?

I wanted to buy uncut tubes and I would have cut them myself...but the didn't have any. But, then the question would have been, who's length is the right length?

Guess I should just stick with one company with regard to a "Slimline" pen.

More lessons learned.

Sorry...edited to add, the Woodcraft ones were "Slim Style", not Slimline.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jolly Red

Slim line pens have a bit of forgiveness in them as far as length goes. So don't really stress about the exact length of this style pens. I would say the tubes from the different suppliers will work with any of the others. Other styles may require more exact lengths of tubes, so this is not universal. Most click style pens benefit from having the right length of tube, and will not work properly if too short or too long. This will affect the amount the point of the pen sticks out of the end when extended, or if it will retract fully.
Tom

Dr_N

Like Jolly Red said, the length on a Slimline is very forgiving. As you press the transmission into the lower blank, stop frequently and check that the refill, when extended, protrudes through the nib to your desired length. That will be the only critical measurement for the slimline.

turnit2020

Various makers produce "slim Line" pen kits. That term is generic and refers to those with 7mm tube size. Regardless of the tube length they will be interchangeable except for those with a click mechanism. Do as Dr_N suggests in setting the transmission and you should have do trouble getting a good result. Turncrazy43

jrich7970

But...if the length of the tube I am using is longer than the one that originally came from the kit (let's say I lost the original one, but I still have the transmission from the original), I might have to push the transmission in further than that indentation to get the point of the pen to stick out as much as it should.

Is there a problem with that? Or is that just a "guide"? For what it's worth, every time I have made a pen (and these are kits with the shortest tubes I've used so far), I have found that I have had to push the transmission in all the way to that indentation (after several tries).

Dr_N

Correct, the indention is just a guide, I frequently have transmissions that don't go in to the indention or others that go a little past the indention. As long as the ink refill protrudes from the nib to the length you prefer all will be fine.

monophoto

But...if the length of the tube I am using is longer than the one that originally came from the kit (let's say I lost the original one, but I still have the transmission from the original), I might have to push the transmission in further than that indentation to get the point of the pen to stick out as much as it should.

The amount of extension that is possible is governed by four factors:
  • the length of the metal cone at the nib end of the pen
  • the design of the transmission (specifically, how far the refill is extended as the transmission is rotated)
  • the length of the narrow portion of the refill
  • how far the transmission is inserted into the brass tube

The first two of these are specific to the kit you are using, while the third is determined by the manufacturer of the refill. The only variable you have control over is how far you insert the transmission into the tube.

But the key point is that all four of these factors relate to something at the nib-end of the pen. The length of the pen, and more importantly, the length of the brass tube, is irrelevant. The only thing that changes when you change the length of the tube is the length of the pen that you can make with that tube.

egnald

I used to do the press and check method for putting the transmission into Slimeline (as well as other Cross style pens). But using empirical measurements I determined that the proper distance from the tip of the nib to the back of the transmission (at least for my desired ink extension) was 3.96 inches. Assuming that all Cross style refills are the same length I made a fixed stop block that was 3.96 inches. First I press in the nib, then I press in the transmission using my stop block. With a single press and no more press and check I get a consistent ink extension every time.

This also has benefit of automatically compensating for varying tube lengths from different manufacturers, lot-to-lot variations, or even just from over trimming the tube when squaring things up with a barrel trimmer or sanding jig.

Regards,
Dave

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I used to do the press and check method for putting the transmission into Slimeline (as well as other Cross style pens). But using empirical measurements I determined that the proper distance from the tip of the nib to the back of the transmission (at least for my desired ink extension) was 3.96 inches. Assuming that all Cross style refills are the same length I made a fixed stop block that was 3.96 inches. First I press in the nib, then I press in the transmission using my stop block. With a single press and no more press and check I get a consistent ink extension every time.

This also has benefit of automatically compensating for varying tube lengths from different manufacturers, lot-to-lot variations, or even just from over trimming the tube when squaring things up with a barrel trimmer or sanding jig.

Regards,
Dave

This method will save you lots of time if you are a "production" pen maker. And the nib will be extended the same amount on all your slimlines.

Quick and efficient, and free!! Make a wood or resin block that is 3.96" long and insert it when pressing the pen together, stopping the press at exactly the correct measurement.

Top Bottom