Votes: 39 41.9%
  • Entry #3

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Entry #4

Votes: 15 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SteveJ

There will be one round of voting for the pen stand contest.

Please vote for one pen (go ahead, try to vote for two - the software wont let you....)

Thank you to those who entered. The stands represent some creative work.

The polls will close on Saturday night.

Steve

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveJ

Entry #1

A simple block of walnut was used to made the stand. Somewhat of a "puzzle" to get it to open and reveal the pen as the trick is to use leverage from your thumb to get it to open. The thumb release is the only way to get the stand to open and that is the fun as to see folks trying to get "in". Simply rout the pen slab to suit the diameter of the pen as well as to its length. I used a contrasting maple cap to indicate the top of the stand and "unlock" the mystery of the opening. The side hinges are two(2) small finishing nails and help to rotate the opening as well as to display the pen.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 262
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 253
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 239
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 280

SteveJ

Entry #2

The blank on this pen stand is Exotic Blank's "Electric Nebula Alumilite". The copper struts were made from 3/32" copper tubing. The copper pins were made from solid core wire and glued into the blank with thin CA glue after the holes were carefully located using the lathe's indexing wheel and drilled on my drill press. All three of the cross pieces were epoxied together with a piece of veneer separating them and turned to a uniform diameter using a carbide cutter. Then they were parted and all ends had to be polished. Finishing was done using Micromesh pads to 12000 grit and Meguiar's Plastx.

Attachments

• Electric Nebula Pen Stand & Pen.jpg
    Electric Nebula Pen Stand & Pen.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 309
  • Electric Nebula Pen Stand (F).jpg
    Electric Nebula Pen Stand (F).jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 252
  • Electric Nebula Pen Stand (L ).jpg
    Electric Nebula Pen Stand (L ).jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 284
  • Electric Nebula Pen Stand (T).jpg
    Electric Nebula Pen Stand (T).jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 291

SteveJ

Entry #3

For this stand I used Cherry and Walnut. I cut the cherry into 1/16 thick strips, the walnut was already cut to veneer. I then steamed the wood until flexible. I then used a form I have made to glue up the top and bottom. When dry I trimmed to size, sanded, sealed, then applied several coats of lacquer. Then glued the top to the base.

Attachments

• image1 (1).jpg
    image1 (1).jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 261
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 237
  • image2 (1).jpg
    image2 (1).jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 234
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 237

SteveJ

Entry #4

My stand is made from Tulip Wood and was inspired by simple Japanese Design concepts and the shape of the Adirondack chair. The main construction element is the through mortise cut in the upright that the pen support and leg slides through. An angled hole is drilled in the support to hold the nib of the pen and then the upper support is drilled and carved into the back. The base of the legs are cut to an angle to allow it to sit flat on the surface. On single carved line of ornamentation is added to the back of the leg.

Attachments

• PenStand-1.jpg
    PenStand-1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 257
  • PenStand-2.jpg
    PenStand-2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 236
  • PenStand-3.jpg
    PenStand-3.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 254
  • PenStand-4.jpg
    PenStand-4.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 246

SteveJ

Time to vote!

There is currently a tie for third place! But no real worries - due to the fact that only two entries were received in the pen box contest, both third and fourth place in the pen stand contest will receive a BOB!

Steve

Top Bottom