Pen Refills(Sorry....)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brandy

Sorry to bring this up again... I did do a quick search and couldn't find an answer.

I find the number of different refills available to be confusing. Is it safe to say any Parker Style refill will fit a pen that takes this type of refill? Is "Parker Style" a generic description? Some refills look shorter or wider than the one that comes with the kit. How do I know if they will work? I have the same question about Cross Style refills.

Thanks for your patience with this no doubt repetitive question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

No and no. Ever take a walk in Staples or Office Depot and look at the racks of refills available.? Now the kits that are on the market you can probably get away with the same brands. The length may vary because the kit maybe be smaller. There are upgrades to each brand that vendors will have a better time explaining.

Another related thread;
https://www.penturners.org/threads/refills-in-general.86925/

https://tipsforefficiency.com/parker-vs-cross/#:~:text=Cross pens have a more classic variety of,other refill brands while Parker has no alternatives.

monophoto

The International Standards Organization (ISO) Standard 12757 includes a classification system for ballpoint pen refills. That standard identifies a variety of standard refills, defines the critical dimensions, and in some cases, establishes a link to a specific manufacturer. For example, a C1 refill is generically called a 'Cross style' refill because it covers refills that fit Cross pens., while a 'Parker style' refill is ISO G2.

The problem with international standards is that there are no standards police to make sure that everyone follows the rules. So even the vaunted Cross refill is subject to variations, including by Cross itself. For example, the ISO standards says that a C1 refill is 117.5mm long, but the refills made by Cross are 115.9mm long, and S. T. DuPont make a C1 refill that is 112.4mm long. My experience is that a C1 refill branded (and presumably made) by Cross or Schmidt will usually fit kit pens that are sold as 'Cross Style'. That small difference in length gets taken care of when you adjust the placement of the transmission to achieve the desired exposure of the nib.

Likewise, a 'Parker style' ISO G2 has a length of 98.2mm, but in practice, the length varies from 94 to 99mm, with the difference causing variations in how much nib is exposed when it is in the writing position.

In addition to specifying length, the ISO standard also specified diameter. The diameter over the main portion of the body is usually not critical, but there have been numerous posts on this board about variations in the diameter of the nib, and in particular, concerns that the nib on some refills appears to be larger than the opening in the nib cone that it is supposed to fit through. However, this may also reflect variations in kit manufacturing rather than variations in the refills themselves, and known fix is to use a drill bit to ream out an undersized nib cone.

In my experience, 'Cross style' and 'Parker style' refills from either the named manufacturer, or one of the very reputable aftermarket manufacturers like Schmidt or Monteverde will generally fit pens sold in those generic classifications. The same cannot be said for refills from no-name suppliers in Asia.

Zebra pens use shorter refills than a standard Parker refill. I've also found most rollerball refills are close but are not quite the same length. Most will work but may look wrong in different pens.

sorcerertd

This website has info on refill shapes, sizes, etc. - https://unsharpen.com/pen-refill-guide/. Should answer a lot of questions regarding compatibility.
I concur with this. It's been a handy reference.

With the rollerball refills, it depends on the kit. The Jr. styles will hold a G2, but it doesn't extend as far as the most used Schmidt 888 or 5888. Some of the narrower ones, such as the PSI classic and classic elite, will hold the standard rollerball, a Pilot G2, Pilot V series, and even the Pentel Energel. I generally keep a couple of each around, usually empties I've changed out, just to test fit so I can let people know their options for refills. The needle point of the pilot V7 and Energel work with the Jr. series, but look awful (IMO).

As an aside, the best place to get the very popular Pilot G2 is directly from the Pilot website. Prices are the same as office supply stores, but there are more choices and I feel that you know you are getting fresher ink.

Top Bottom