pen pictures

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

baldeagle60

I am only 5 months into pen turning. Have now found the off/on switch on my lathe.:) Can someone please tell me how to take those nice no shadows pen pictures. I know a bit about 35mm photography but am not much on digital. I suspect a tent with outside lighting but know that light bulbs create a brown cast and fluorescent a green cast. Thank you in advance for the help!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeffj13

Sam,

YOu are correct, a tent would help. fwiw, I have used halogens in the past.

You will probably get better answers if you post this in the pen photography section.

jeff

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The winter issue of Woodturning Design has an article by Rich Kleinhenz (scubaman) on how to photograph pens. The magazine is available at http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/New_Products.htm

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Use a lot of light from different directions.Halogens change color.
Tent not necessary.
Like turing a pen it isn't rocket science
If I can take a decent picture with my 4 year old Kodak camera any one can.
No tent, no light box, cheap camera, tripod. neutral background, micro mode, no editing software ther than size.Image resizer power toys for XP thats it.
3 minutes from picture to forum upload.(at the most)

gerryr

I use CFL bulbs, 3 of them, that have a color temperature of 6500K. But, even with those, I still use the custom white balance setting. I made my own tent and use a doubled white sheet to cover it.

bob393

It's all true.

You can take a picture outside in the shade and get a great shot. However a tent, 2 color balanced 5000-5500k
florecent lights with reflectors, and a tripod will help a lot. Even some props can't hurt.

You will get even more info in the photography section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom