Pen materials assembly tray.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The need is obvious in my messy shop for a little more than a red fabric shop towel to keep parts, clean, and together while pen or other kit is being assembled.

I subscribe to a scrollsaw pattern makers blog. FULL CREDIT goes to Mr. STEVE GOOD, his free pattern can be found at https://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com

Once you are on the home page, scroll down and find the Jan 07, 2022 date. Download the pages of the pattern you need. I modified mine from Steves very creative work just a bit. I eliminated the area for the ruler in the front. I did not make the box insert. My thoughts were to make a pen parts tray. They will be very useful for those of us who make other kits such as seam rippers. Springs and other small parts have a way of getting away from you. I went a step further and lined the tray sides with felt leftover from another project years ago. I used the 18mm Baltic Birch as the pattern specifies can be used. It measures about 11/16" thick. I cut the felt strips for the sides at 5/8", glued with Aleen's Tacky Glue, using a dental pick I installed the felt flush with the top of the tray leaving about 1/16"
to slip the felt bottom in place without having to use any glue.

Apologies for not making the link above HOT, and no photographs. I am not adept at using the new Forum software. I'd love a tutorial ( help JEFF) to be made available as to what these various options are and how to use them.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Big fan of Steve and made many of his projects. I admire him for being able to put out a free scrollsawn pattern every single day of the year.

I follow Steve Good as well and have done several of his patterns, Steve has done great things for the Scroll Saw community. One small correction on the date in your post here Charles it's Jan 11/22 here is a direct link. Looks like it could be handy tray for some.
Wendell, Thank you for the correction. to MY ERROR. Another one of my pet peeves. Lack of distinct contrast. Hard to tell one color from another such as on the "mouseovers" here on IAP and when one clicks on some items such as Steve's blog dates after being clicked on.

Again, it's all my perception fault. Hope some of you benefit from this or it inspires you to create something similar or better.

All the best,

sorcerertd

That does look handy to keep things organized. There is a similar setup that Turner's Warehouse sells for ring making to keep everything in one place. This would definitely make sure the parts, blanks, bushings, etc. for the pen you are currently working on would all stay in one place. I'm that guy who's looking around to see where I put that one piece that I know I just had in my hand. During assembly, I just lay it all out on some bubble wrap to keep anything from rolling around.

Top Bottom