pen kit reference suggestion/request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

paleydp

I've made several pens at this point - mostly slimlines. I've turned standard slimlines with bands, and without bands; made fat slimlines with and without contrasting wood bands. I've turned some burls, spalts, corian, corncob, purpleheart, mahogany. Finishes are coming along, but need improvement. Just made a couple of 'comfort pens'. I'd like to move on to a slightly more challenging level of kits. Wondered if any of you that are more experienced could put together a basic list for the reference area with groupings of kit names and attach levels to them - you know, beginners kit suggestion: any slimline, etc; advanced beginner: add comfort pen, etc, etc.; intermediate: . . . .
As always, Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi Denise,

There are definitely some pens that are harder to make than others! I would actually put the standard slimline in the advanced beginner category! The wood ends up pretty thin on a standard slimline, and that can be difficult to do at times. One of the easiest pens to make, in my opinion, is the cigar pen. The Gentleman Junior is also pretty easy. Intermediate would be like the Gentleman, Americana, Euro, El Grande and the like. Difficult ones are the Streamlined El Grande, and some of the pens from Woodchucker.

Come on everybody! Lets help Denise put together a pen kit chart!

Scott.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'll add my vote for the cigar pen. Easy to make, but you know, it's too heavy for a lot of people. I like them, though. Don't confuse the barrels. The short one is the top! I think the El Grande is pretty easy, but the wood does get pretty thin. That's my favorite, though.

Randy

I like the Patriot and Executive roller ball kits from Craft Supply. They will require a larger drill bit (27/64" for the roller ball and 3/8" for the Patriot) and new bushings but the assembly is straightforward and easy. The KC twist and Father Sing are both take offs of the slimline (7 mm tubes) and also very easy to assemble. A kit that is a little harder but one that I like is the Convertable kit from Rockler. I like it because you put the center ring on the exposed brass tube and do not have to turn a tennon. It also does not have the plastic on the nib end just a standard tip which allows you to show more wood and less plastic (which I like).

Daniel

Is anybody up to making a list of all the kits then we could rank them 1-3
1- beginner
2- intermediat3- advanced.
the majority is what places the pen in a given catagory.
I have many of them in a spreedsheet. but it would have to be updated with kits that have been introdiced in the last year. it doesn't even have the gent pen on it. and i woudl have to edit it some so it wasn't redundant.

paleydp

What are the logistics of doing that? The poll won't handle it - not enough choices. Is the spreadsheet in excel? If so, you can send it to me in an email and I'll look at it.

Daniel

the list is in works spreedsheet.
the first idea I have is to make a web page that or a page that can be e-mailed on request. that can be filled out and then sent to someone or someones. that will tally the responces. A web page form woudl be the easiest to access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom