Pen kit favorites

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Knotboard

We're making large orders of pen kits from PSI, Berea, and Craft USA (Woodturners Catalog). We'd love your input!
1)Your favorite kit(s)
2)Your best selling kit(s)
3)The kit(s) you would never buy again.
4)Your favorite place to buy kits.

Thanks for your help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I'm sure you will get a wide variety of opinions because so much of this is very subjective and a matter of personal taste, but I'll be glad to share my thoughts:
1. My overall favorites are most any of the "Sierra" variations - I'll use different ones from time to time to get different finishes, cap styles & bands. I like some of the PSI specialty kits - especially their bolt action & the Faith Hope Love kit. I still do a lot of slimlines, but mostly for giveaways. I'm not a big rollerball fan, but I do like the Vertex Supreme.
2. I don't sell pens, I mostly make them for charities, family & friends so no comments on this one.
3. I don't like the slimline clickers.
4. Any of the IAP vendors. They are all great & I try to buy as much from them as I can. I also shop at Woodcraft a lot because I drive right by their store on my way home everyday and sometimes it's nice to be able to actually see & handle things.

jondavidj

1. Rollerball and Fountain - Aaron, Panda, George, Retro, Desire, Raven
Ballpoint - Gatsby, Liberty, Bolt Action

2. Best Selling Rollerball/Fountain - Aaron, Panda, George, Retro.....just now starting to sell the other three.
Ballpoint - Sierra or Gatsby, Bolt Action, Liberty.

3. Sierra, only because I like the finial twist over the body twist. Slimlines...any kind of click pen. Really nothing themed....

4. Any IAP Vendor: Classic Nib, PSI, Arizona Silhouette, Exotics

Hope that helps! - Jon David Jones

eranox

For pen kits, I like the Gatsby and the .50 cal pens from PSI. The Gatsby is my favorite pen of the ones of that style; I like that it is a finial twist mechanism, and I like that there is a metal bead at each end of the blank, so that it's not quite so critical to turn it to the perfect size. I'm also a fan of the Junior Gent 2 family, though I have recently purchased some Caballeros from Smitty's Pen Works that I think will become my replacement for those. For inexpensive pens, I like PSI's Funline Designer pens, and I like the cigar style pens. So far, the cigars have been more or less identical from wherever I source them from.

My best seller is hard to nail down. I have good luck with the .50 cal pens, and the Gatsby sells well for me also.

While I do buy most of my pen kits from PSI, Smitty's Pen Works is hands-down my favorite kit vendor. When I deplete my supply of Gatsby kits, I'll try the Le Roi v2, which looks identical to my eyes. I buy most of my blanks from Bear Tooth Woods, and they're also a joy to work with.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
An "old pro" in the pen selling business once suggested to me that I ignore most of what people write about pens and look at what they BUY and what SELLS.

His further advice: "If you see a "magnum version, mini version, a gazillion plating combinations--that style pen has been successful".

Based on this theory, the sierra is probably the "most often copied and has the most plating derivations" and the Bolt action would come in pretty close--maxi, mini, plated in everything but cat do-do, leaving an opportunity for someone!!

Just an observation!!

OKLAHOMAN

I will add all the Jr. series versions ( Jr. Gent, Jr. Statesman, Jr. Majestic, Aaron,George,Anthony,and as many as 10 more) that are all built on the same platform and have about as many plating's available as flavors of Ice Cream

jttheclockman

Personally, I think the original Sierra was the ugliest and crappest pen ever made. Tha damned mech would always unscrew.

It was cloned to make it better, not because it was good.:wink:

And we finally differ on something Skip. I think the original Sierra was one of the best and that is why it is copied because I haven't seen improvements. The Elegant Sierras are just as good. A little different mechanism but around just as long as the Sierra.

I usually stay out of questions like this because you can name every darn kit on the market and someone likes it. Not sure what you call big orders but buy kits that you like to sell and make. What others sell can depend on a huge amount of factors. They are better salesman than you. Their area likes different kits. They enjoy making different kits. They maybe limited if only make rollerballs, or fountain pens or ballpoint. I believe there is never a good outcome to these type questions. maybe I am wrong but it is my opinion.:) Good luck and maybe give us a clue as to what a big order is.

Last edited:

Loucurr

My new favorite vendor is Bear Tooth Woods. Nice selection, good customer service and quick shipping. My worst favorite vendor is PSI. it's pretty bad when I can get two orders mailed to me from Hawaii and they arrive before a PSI order that was placed 1st.

As far as favorite style...I am still experimenting.

jttheclockman

My new favorite vendor is Bear Tooth Woods. Nice selection, good customer service and quick shipping. My worst favorite vendor is PSI. it's pretty bad when I can get two orders mailed to me from Hawaii and they arrive before a PSI order that was placed 1st.

As far as favorite style...I am still experimenting

Lou I like your last statement. That is how you find out what works for you. Good job.

Karl_99

A popular seller for me and one that is not on the list so far is the cigar pen. I prefer to use the better platings - titaniums and rhodium

Dan Masshardt

I found a core offering that I love and found reliable and versatile. For me that's the Jr gent 2, zen and hybrid cigar and any of the stainless single tubes - mainly falcon or Liberty.

Then build it out will a few higher end models - Aaron, Cambridge, emperor, Jr statesman Etc.

Then look at the novelty styles and make a couple that you like. The bolt action is a good seller. I like the gearshift well enough to keep a couple in the mix now.

Finally, if you like, make some styles that are either less expensive in supplies and / or effort if you want to have s lower price point option or for gifting.

SteveG

This is a general observation about hardware color decisions.

My sales experience has shown that pens with the main hardware color of gold sell very poorly compared to the other predominant colors such as rhodium, chrome, black-ti, gunmetal. The all-gold pens will sell, but slowly. So I suggest only a small percentage of kit inventory be gold. Just to clarify...pens that are predominately rhodium (or chrome or gunmetal) and having gold accents are fine, and are not the slow moving "gold" pens to which I refer.

Dan Masshardt

This is a general observation about hardware color decisions. My sales experience has shown that pens with the main hardware color of gold sell very poorly compared to the other predominant colors such as rhodium, chrome, black-ti, gunmetal. The all-gold pens will sell, but slowly. So I suggest only a small percentage of kit inventory be gold. Just to clarify...pens that are predominately rhodium (or chrome or gunmetal) and having gold accents are fine, and are not the slow moving "gold" pens to which I refer.

Plus all gold looks cheesy. ;-)

jttheclockman

This is a general observation about hardware color decisions. My sales experience has shown that pens with the main hardware color of gold sell very poorly compared to the other predominant colors such as rhodium, chrome, black-ti, gunmetal. The all-gold pens will sell, but slowly. So I suggest only a small percentage of kit inventory be gold. Just to clarify...pens that are predominately rhodium (or chrome or gunmetal) and having gold accents are fine, and are not the slow moving "gold" pens to which I refer.

Plus all gold looks cheesy. ;-)

That is a broad statement Dan and I know that is Steve's observation but i beg to differ. Matched with the right blank some gold looks richier than silver. People associate it with that.

Last edited:

SteveG

John, those pens are excellent examples of designs and blank materials that work very well with gold. Over the years I have made and sold a few in those blank/gold hardware combinations. I believe you are mostly addressing Dan's comment. My point has little to do with an individual's perception of the inherent value associated with gold. I am wanting to provide the OP with food for thought on what mix of gold vs non-gold to purchase as he is at the point of "We're making large orders of pen kits...". I reported my sales experiences to hopefully help in his decision making. When I first got going with penturning/selling I started with an approximate even mix of gold and rhodium pens on display. Gold was a slow mover, but I did eventually sell the stock of gold pens. Today I populate my pen display with about 5% gold pens and it works out about right. That percentage is based on my marketplace experience.

jttheclockman

John, those pens are excellent examples of designs and blank materials that work very well with gold. Over the years I have made and sold a few in those blank/gold hardware combinations. I believe you are mostly addressing Dan's comment. My point has little to do with an individual's perception of the inherent value associated with gold. I am wanting to provide the OP with food for thought on what mix of gold vs non-gold to purchase as he is at the point of "We're making large orders of pen kits...". I reported my sales experiences to hopefully help in his decision making. When I first got going with penturning/selling I started with an approximate even mix of gold and rhodium pens on display. Gold was a slow mover, but I did eventually sell the stock of gold pens. Today I populate my pen display with about 5% gold pens and it works out about right. That percentage is based on my marketplace experience.

Understood Steve. My point is that is your findings and once again everyone is different. I have not seen a lack in sales of gold VS the other platings to that dramatic % points as you. I could not give exact figures but I know I sell gold Sierras and highend kits in gold. The blank makes the kit. Put a nice burl wood on a titanium pen will not have the same effect as on a gold pen in my opinion. Gold and wood go together well. I would not tell the OP to limit his inventory because of your findings. I mean no disrespect Steve but that is why these questions are not easily answered as he hopes it would be.

Dan Masshardt

That is a broad statement Dan and I know that is Steve's observation but i beg to differ. Matched with the right blank some gold looks richier than silver. People associate it with that. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JTTHECLOCKMAN/media/IMGP0743.jpg.html http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JTTHECLOCKMAN/media/GreenCambridgeinbox.jpg.html

JT - you caught me giving an opinion broadly. Partially just for fun. Maybe I was bored. Ha

Gold can be okay but I never buy gold kits and never plan to I do use gold accents at times in rhodium or similar.

It's just a matter of my taste though to be honest . :)

Knotboard

Thank you all for your input! I know that those were loaded questions. We are starting a hobby shop in Tucson, and want to offer a wide selection of pen kits. Initially I want to know what people might want to see on the shelves. We have our favorites but are most familiar with PSI kits. We are branching out to Berea and Craft USA. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions!

Dan Masshardt

Thank you all for your input! I know that those were loaded questions. We are starting a hobby shop in Tucson, and want to offer a wide selection of pen kits. Initially I want to know what people might want to see on the shelves. We have our favorites but are most familiar with PSI kits. We are branching out to Berea and Craft USA. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions!

Oh that's an interesting angle I wasn't thinking of.

In the case of a hobby shop I'd definitely stock some low cost kits as well. Slimline, trimline, basic Sierra style and cigar. In chrome and gunmetal. Maybe even gold. :-o

Knotboard

[/QUOTE]

Oh that's an interesting angle I wasn't thinking of.

In the case of a hobby shop I'd definitely stock some low cost kits as well. Slimline, trimline, basic Sierra style and cigar. In chrome and gunmetal. Maybe even gold. :-o[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all your input! Yes, we will stock some of the low cost kits as well. Gold is not my favorite either, but we definitely want to offer those as well. I have found that just because it is not my favorite doesn't mean it isn't someone else's favorite!

Knotboard

Thanks for all your input! Yes, we will stock some of the low cost kits as well. Gold is not my favorite either, but we definitely want to offer those as well. I have found that just because it is not my favorite doesn't mean it isn't someone else's favorite!

corgicoupe

We're making large orders of pen kits from PSI, Berea, and Craft USA (Woodturners Catalog). We'd love your input!
1)Your favorite kit(s)
2)Your best selling kit(s)
3)The kit(s) you would never buy again.
4)Your favorite place to buy kits.

Thanks for your help!

A suggestion. Take the time to make a sample of each type of pen you offer. By type I mean each brand and price point, and have them available with an ink cartridge installed. Allow potential customers to "feel" how the pen writes. You may end up selling some a fountain pen when they were thinking about a ballpoint.

Top Bottom