Pen Contest(s)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jmhoff10500

I think slimline is a generally safe way to go because everyone has easy access to them, but they do get kind of boring... Maybe a "most pieces" one for those segmenting buffs, but that also brings in controversy because it is based on numbers instead of the forums opinions... Other possibilities could be; Contrasting Colors, coolest woods, sharpest curves, "blocky-ist", and all the old classics (kitless, etc.)

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
How about a timed trial? 24 hours to finish the pen from start to finish - staggered start for overseas - with specific parameters? I.E. Must make a christmas tree design in the pen, CA finish, etc...

Might be too complicated, but might be fun too...

Andrew

ldb2000

Ok , I will do my best . Give me a couple of hours to come up with some ideas . I think a basic pen contest for the beginners , a modified slimline for the more advanced members and a full kitless for the advanced members .

Last edited:

ldb2000

For the "Basic pen" contest I think a "peoples choice" type of set up for the best overall basic pen . I don't think we should limit this to just slimlines because there are some people now that don't make slimlines , sierras and euros seem to be the new beginners pens , so if we don't limit the type of pen we will get more entries .
The base rules could be . " A non modified basic pen , any type and any choice of materials , winners chosen based on Fit , Finish and overall design" .
We could use a panel of judges to decide the top 10 and then put up an open poll to decide the top 3 winners . I think this would be a good way to decide all the pen contests .
Anyone see any problems with this one ?

ldb2000

For the modified kit pen contest , how about a modified cigar pen instead of the usual slimline . The cigar is almost as modifiable as the slimline and might make a nice change .
Any ideas ?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
For the modified kit pen contest , how about a modified cigar pen instead of the usual slimline . The cigar is almost as modifiable as the slimline and might make a nice change .
Any ideas ?
I like the idea of mixing it up, good plan. :)

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Butch,

Would you like to pick a couple of our stalwart volunteers to help you with these contests? We have some enthusiastic members that need the guidance of a wise mature veteran. Lacking that, could you provide the guidance?!? :biggrin::wink::biggrin:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Butch,

Would you like to pick a couple of our stalwart volunteers to help you with these contests? We have some enthusiastic members that need the guidance of a wise mature veteran. Lacking that, could you provide the guidance?!? :biggrin::wink::biggrin:
LOL!!!

ldb2000

I would love to have the sage wisdom of a stalwart wise mature volunteer :biggrin:

Thanks for volunteering Landon :biggrin:

I will also need some one to run the "free for all" (aka "Freestyle") since I really would like to enter that one and I don't want any one saying "It's Fixed" since I plan on winning this year :rolleyes::biggrin: .... Hey , I can dream ...can't I ?

wdcav1952

I would love to have the sage wisdom of a stalwart wise mature volunteer :biggrin:

Thanks for volunteering Landon :biggrin:

I will also need some one to run the "free for all" (aka "Freestyle") since I really would like to enter that one and I don't want any one saying "It's Fixed" since I plan on winning this year :rolleyes::biggrin: .... Hey , I can dream ...can't I ?

Sounds good from here.

Landon, will you run the "free for all" contest? Look back at how it was run last year and come up with similar/same rules if you would.

Thanks,

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Just talking out loud here, please don't shoot. :eek: What about the winner of the Freestyle contest being required to donate the entry to IAP to be raffled off as a fundraiser at a time TBD later? Of course the prize for this would need to be "Substantial" to give the winner some validation. Personally I think it would be a honor to sacrifice the entry for such a reason. Any thoughts? Again, just a thought to consider. :)

Last edited:

ldb2000

Sure , I won't mind donating the prize winning pen , and yes it would be a great honor :rolleyes::biggrin:

Actually , whoever wins I think the donation is a great idea . Another Skiprat pen would go for good money :redface:

I'm working out the details of the Modified Cigar pen rules and requirements and will post my thoughts in a day or two .

I'm still waiting for any comments or concerns about the Basic "Beautiful Pen" contest . Do we want to make this one a Beauty contest or does anyone have a better idea ?

Jeff Powell went above and beyond the call by procuring the Ribbons for the Cartridge pen contest , is there any chance of getting Ribbons for all the pen contests ? We would need three for each of the contests .

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Sure , I won't mind donating the prize winning pen , and yes it would be a great honor :rolleyes::biggrin:

Actually , whoever wins I think the donation is a great idea . Another Skiprat pen would go for good money :redface:

I'm working out the details of the Modified Cigar pen rules and requirements and will post my thoughts in a day or two .

I'm still waiting for any comments or concerns about the Basic "Beautiful Pen" contest . Do we want to make this one a Beauty contest or does anyone have a better idea ?

Jeff Powell went above and beyond the call by procuring the Ribbons for the Cartridge pen contest , is there any chance of getting Ribbons for all the pen contests ? We would need three for each of the contests .
Why not just add it to the "Ugly Pen Contest"? Just call it "Beauty Among the Beasts". Same criteria, hopefully different materials and results.

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Just talking out loud here, please don't shoot. :eek: What about the winner of the Freestyle contest being required to donate the entry to IAP to be raffled off as a fundraiser at a time TBD later? Of course the prize for this would need to be "Substantial" to give the winner some validation. Personally I think it would be a honor to sacrifice the entry for such a reason. Any thoughts? Again, just a thought to consider. :)
Since I have had no objections, this is what I will go with. I've got the rules basically set. (OK, so I "borrowed" most of them from last year) I did alter them to change it up a bit. Should I post them here for crtique and approval, PM them to someone, or do I let it be my secret until the time comes. I'm new to this Bash stuff so guide me along please. :wink:

Last edited:

ldb2000

Ok rules for the Modified Cigar kit are ;
1 . Must use a Cigar kit Nib/Nosecone , cigar transmission and cigar clip .
2 . Entries must be made for the contest and can not have been shown before the contest .
3 . Winners will be chosen by Fit , Finish and the type and amount of the modification , so take the best pictures you can since this is all we will have to judge the quality of the fit and finish .
4 . Prizes will be awarded for first , second and third places .

I think these rules should leave enough room for some ultra modified cigar pens . Can anyone add anything else to the rules that I have missed ?

ldb2000

I'm still trying to come up with a Basic pen contest . I'm thinking about a newbie type of contest so that the new members aren't going up against the seasoned veterans here . Maybe open to members who have joined in the last 6 months or so , I think a year of this place teaches way too much to be considered a noob anymore .
Also limiting the contest to Ballpoints to keep the Emperors and the Majestics out of the mix .
I like Landon's idea of having the Beautiful pen contest grouped with the Ugly pen contest if Scott don't mind working it in somehow .
Any ideas ?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Lately there has been a bundle of new members to the group that are far from "NEW" to the pen making. I've seen some amazing work from some IAP "newbies". I don't have any better ideas to use as criteria except to put it into groups and use the honor system as to the level they are at.(Ya, that will work) :eek: I'm not trying to push MY contest here, BUT :biggrin:, the more advanced folks should probably be jumping in to the freestyle contest anyway. I stand by my "beauty among the beasts" theme, I hope more than you and I think it is a good idea. :wink: I do like limiting it to ballpoints, gives some kit options but keeps some of the "bling" of the kit out of contention.

wdcav1952

Landon, I agree on the "new" idea. I have seen some "first" pens that are impressive.

I would consider not announcing what the prizes are until the very last moment to perhaps minimize the possibility of "fake newbies".

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Another way of sorting the 'newbies' by skill is not by when they joined the site, but rather by when they first turned a stick on a lathe...Six months or less is a good 'newbie' designation, in my mind...

You could call it a 'beginner' or 'novice' contest to distinguish from the advanced contest too, and hope the honour system constrains most of the 'newbie' master turners.

ldb2000

The new name of the Basic pen contests will be "The Beginners Beautiful Pen" for beginners who have been turning pens for less then six months (we will have to go on the word of the turners , let's hope we have some honest noobs here) and the other "The Beautiful Pen" will be open to everyone .
The rules will be ,
1. It must be a Ballpoint kit pen . No cap style or kitless pens will be accepted .
2. The pen must be made for the contest by the person entering the contest and not have been shown before Feb 1 2010 .
3. Only one pen per person , so make it your best work . Take the best pictures you can because the quality of your pen will be based on what we can see . Keep your backgrounds and props simple so they do not distract the eye from your pen .
4. Winners will be chosen based on the Fit and Finish of your pen . A panel of 3 judges will choose the top 5 pens in each contest and the final 3 in each contest will be chosen by an open poll .

I will need 6 prizes here if each of the top 3 get prizes .
I think this contest should run for at least 2 weeks starting on the first or second week .
I think the Modified Cigar pen contest should run after this one ends .
I think that covers it all . If I missed anything please speak up because I have no idea of what I'm doing here :eek::biggrin: .

Last edited:

ldb2000

Question for the powers that be , Who can I have for judging the entries ?
I would think that 3 people would be a good judging team so there should be no ties or deadlocks . I don't mind being one of the judges but who else is dumb .... er .... brave enough to take on such a daunting task ?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Question for the powers that be , Who can I have for judging the entries ?
I would think that 3 people would be a good judging team so there should be no ties or deadlocks . I don't mind being one of the judges but who else is dumb .... er .... brave enough to take on such a daunting task ?
I'm not one of the powers but, I did ask this question as well via PM earlier this month. I went out and "recruited' my own judges. I have "conned" a great group of individuals to help. :biggrin: I will be using a 5 judge panel. I felt I owed it to the members to have a decent sized judging panel so as to get a good spread on evaluating the entries. I have assembled what I feel is an excellent team to do this. They come from varying turning backgrounds with varying areas of expertise, as well as being excellent in the pen turning venue. Does it seem like I put a lot into this? Well it should, as I did a lot of reading and planning before asking the folks I did. I think all of IAP deserves to have the best contests they could possibly have. This is my small part of that. Hope that helps. I would share more details, but I believe you will be entering my contest so you are just gonna have to remain in the dark a bit.

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Butch, I won't be entering any of the pen contests this year but I'll help you if you need it. I could be a silent judge perhaps? :confused:

ldb2000

OK Steven , your in for one of the Judges for the Beginners , Beautiful and Modified pen contests but the Freestyle contest is being run by Landon so I can enter . I really wish you would change your mind about entering the Freestyle . The IAP could use the money generated from the winning pen and even though I'm gonna win that one we could also use the money from your second place pen :tongue::biggrin: if you are willing to put it up as a prize for a contest or donation drawing .
Thanks

Top Bottom