Pen Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mgoetzke

I can see the advantage of using pen jaws to drill pen blanks (and other things) on the lathe but I've been mostly a bowl turner and only have Hurricane HTC100 and HTC125 chucks and there are no pen jaws available for them. Is it possible that other brand jaws may fit these chucks?

Thanks

Dehn0045

I use pin Jaws on my Nova G3, works fine for square or round. I typically round first, since my pens usually end up round so it doesn't really cost anything to turn round first. Well, I guess I have to mount the blank one extra time, which takes 30 seconds or less.

jrista

It would depend on the size, thread and distance between the two screws that hold each part of the jaws in place. I have found that my Nova chuck jaws are compatible with Record Power and I think Patriot chucks. I now regularly use both a Record Power and Nova chuck, with the Record Power being a larger chuck in general for larger stuff. I was surprised when it seemed compatible with all of my existing nova jaws...definitely saved a lot of money.

I have never used a Hurricane chuck, but those are the three key things you need to check. If you can, I would first just take a screw from a Nova chuck if you can, and see if it threads all the way into the holes on your Hurricane chuck, and that the threads fit nicely. If it does, then at least the screws are compatible. The spacing of the two screws (the distance between their centers) for each quarter of a set of jaws would then be the final factor...if that spacing is off, the Nova jaws wouldn't fit your Hurricane chuck. If the spacing is right, then you should be fine.

Top Bottom