Pen Boxes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

What is everyone using these days for pen boxes and show a photo. Where are you getting them? Do you have different degrees of quality boxes that you use? Again if so please show examples. or give a link. Words does not help describing. I have 3 different grades of boxes. I believe everyone uses those 50 cent cardboard boxes that made the rounds years ago. I lost that link. But I also use a box like this for mid grade pens. Also if it is a special gift. Black box with name on it is my example. Now I also offer a highend box I bought years ago but am running out of and looking for other sources. I bought those from Timberbits but they do not offer any more. These are the brown ones I shown. So if anyone has a connection for these or other good quality boxes I am listening. I need to replenish my stock. Thanks.

IMGP0312.JPG
IMGP0316.JPG
Green Cambridge in box.JPG
IMGP0653.JPG

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

I have no good suggestions but am interested in others'. I bought some cardboard boxes last year. It was maybe $40 for 100 of them. They are really cheap and low quality. I was disappointed. I will probably only use them for giveaways, and may just throw them away. I feel that no matter how nice the pen, packaging can really impact the perception of quality. Apple products are a great example of that to me. I would love to find a vendor who can make an Apple style cardboard box.

wood-of-1kind

JT can't help you to provide a link. I make all my pen boxes out of wood. You might say that I enjoy the box making more than pen making. When I have purchased boxes I used to get them from Stan Cook & he laser engraved the black cardboard boxes with my logo.

derekdd

William Wood Write had these black plastic carbon fiber looking boxes on sale half off last spring/summer so I bought some thinking people might want to add on. "Can I get you fries with that?"

They are okay for a box I retail at $5 but would like something better. If you want some inspiration, here's some of Andy's work. He joined a few months ago.

jttheclockman

William Wood Write had these black plastic carbon fiber looking boxes on sale half off last spring/summer so I bought some thinking people might want to add on. "Can I get you fries with that?"

They are okay for a box I retail at $5 but would like something better. If you want some inspiration, here's some of Andy's work. He joined a few months ago.

I could very easily make custom boxes but why. My time is too valuable. I will buy some of the black leatherette boxes but need some highend boxes. When you sell $500 pens you do need something special. Putting them in a 50 cent carboard box just not the thing to do. One thing I will say about wood boxes and maybe it is just me. They will scratch the finish of a pen. Even when they are sanded smooth wood on wood is not a good idea. Just my thoughts . Line them with felt or flocking will do better.

millarde

Trying to work this out myself. For nicer pens, I'm thinking of making my own (though still working out how to do a nice inside -- not as good with fabric). I have access to a CNC router and made this box for less than $4 in materials (a short stick of cherry, some sandpaper and Danish oil). The fabric bits will push that a little higher, but I'm pretty sure I can keep it under $5.

That engraved part is meant to be the bottom with a personalized engraving on top.

Attachments

• PXL_20231228_174237092-EDIT.jpg
    PXL_20231228_174237092-EDIT.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 51

Woodchipper

My wife makes "velour" pen bags with a drawstring. She has all kinds of scrap cloth on hand. Only costs a lunch or dinner so she doesn't have to cook.

jrista

I haven't done much with pen boxes yet, however I've been working on some designs for custom made pen boxes. I am finally going to get to do some woodworking again here after about a month. I have some magnetically latched pen box designs I want to play with, and once I get one made, I'll share some photos. I've been toying with ideas for magnetically latched boxes for a while now, and recently found a good source for neodymium magnets at a good price, so it might actually be feasible without being too costly now.

millarde

I haven't done much with pen boxes yet, however I've been working on some designs for custom made pen boxes. I am finally going to get to do some woodworking again here after about a month. I have some magnetically latched pen box designs I want to play with, and once I get one made, I'll share some photos. I've been toying with ideas for magnetically latched boxes for a while now, and recently found a good source for neodymium magnets at a good price, so it might actually be feasible without being too costly now.
ooh, magnets! On my list. I love a good magnetic closure. Please share your source if you are willing.

jrista

ooh, magnets! On my list. I love a good magnetic closure. Please share your source if you are willing.
Oh, the source is a local hobby shop, that has canisters of neodymium magnets for better prices than I've found anywhere else.

jttheclockman

I bought a bunch off Ebay awhile ago. They are not expensive. You can get all sizes. I need to find some small enough so I can glue them in to hold the handles closed on the pen display cases I bought several months ago. They are nice but the handle flys open all the time.

jttheclockman

johnjohnson42

That was the place I was trying to think of when I started this thread. It was talked about here widely and with good feedback. The one thing I am never a fan of though is the elastic band. It can wear groove in pens.
I've heard the same thing, but I don't store my pens in the boxes. I just use them to ship my pens in a separate crush proof box from ULine. They make for a nice presentation for the customer when they receive their pen and if they're intended as a gift, they make a nice gift box.

jttheclockman

I get PSI circular in the mail and was looking at their highend pen boxes and thought they do not look bad and then see they are out of stock OK so let me ask here has anyone used this box and what are your thoughts? If you have photos I would like to see them. Will a full size majestic fit comfortably in them? I read in a review NO. What is the interior lined with? Trying to decide do I wait this out or not. Thanks. One flier says they are magnetic closure and other does not.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKBOXHE1.html

RunnerVince

I get PSI circular in the mail and was looking at their highend pen boxes and thought they do not look bad and then see they are out of stock OK so let me ask here has anyone used this box and what are your thoughts? If you have photos I would like to see them. Will a full size majestic fit comfortably in them? I read in a review NO. What is the interior lined with? Trying to decide do I wait this out or not. Thanks. One flier says they are magnetic closure and other does not.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKBOXHE1.html
I helped my younger son do a pen for his mom (my ex) for Christmas, and he really wanted some sort of personalization. After going through a bunch of options, we ultimately went with one of these boxes and an engraved, adhesive-backed plate that he stuck on the lid of the box.

The overall construction was good, as was the fit and closure. I wasn't terribly impressed with the quality of the finish, but I think anyone who's not a woodworker would be perfectly happy. I know my son was pleased with it, and his mom loved the pen, the box, and the engraved plate. I've thought about buying a few of these if I decide to do a show this year, but I don't think I will. Too much money sunk in something that I don't feel right marking up beyond my own costs for not enough chance that it will create a sale.

jttheclockman

I helped my younger son do a pen for his mom (my ex) for Christmas, and he really wanted some sort of personalization. After going through a bunch of options, we ultimately went with one of these boxes and an engraved, adhesive-backed plate that he stuck on the lid of the box.

The overall construction was good, as was the fit and closure. I wasn't terribly impressed with the quality of the finish, but I think anyone who's not a woodworker would be perfectly happy. I know my son was pleased with it, and his mom loved the pen, the box, and the engraved plate. I've thought about buying a few of these if I decide to do a show this year, but I don't think I will. Too much money sunk in something that I don't feel right marking up beyond my own costs for not enough chance that it will create a sale.
if they are of good quality, the price is not bad. I do not want to get into making my own. Just too many other things to do and a good quality box is something that goes well with quality top end pens.

TDahl

I also use Gems On Display. A good quality box and Logo for $2.00/ea. I usually put the pen in a felt bag (I'm sure many others do as well)

Attachments

• IMG_7149.jpg
    IMG_7149.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 46

millarde

I also use Gems On Display. A good quality box and Logo for $2.00/ea. I usually put the pen in a felt bag (I'm sure many others do as well)
ooh, nice, thanks for that reference. While I like the idea of a custom wooden box, feels like it's only for the more expensive pens or the paying customer.

RunnerVince

if they are of good quality, the price is not bad. I do not want to get into making my own. Just too many other things to do and a good quality box is something that goes well with quality top end pens.
If I was buying a $50 or $100 pen, I would probably be happy if it came in that box. If it was a $500 pen, maybe not. Again, I think it just comes down to how familiar with putting a finish on wood the buyer is.

I have been using a faux leather that I wrap the pen in and tie off with leather. I intend to make pouches out of it in the future, but to the point of the OP, I would really like wooden boxes for my pens. Not to hijack the thread, but a related question: out of curiosity, what should a good quality wooden pen box sell for? I wouldn't mind taking a stab at making something.

jttheclockman

I have been using a faux leather that I wrap the pen in and tie off with leather. I intend to make pouches out of it in the future, but to the point of the OP, I would really like wooden boxes for my pens. Not to hijack the thread, but a related question: out of curiosity, what should a good quality wooden pen box sell for? I wouldn't mind taking a stab at making something.
That depends on alot of things. What is the box made from. Is the box lined and with what? How big is the box. What type hinges used if used at all. are they hand made or is lasers or CNC involved. Tough to answer your question. But $25 range is a starting point.

Top Bottom