Pen Box submissions and Artist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Here is the list of the 11 boxes submitted and the artist that created it.

Box #1- wood-of-1kind; Peter Cribari
The box is made from walnut veneer with a Gator back paper. The sides(box)made from 2" solid wood wheel and adhered to the veneer with double sided tape. The catch (lid closure) is elastic ribbon that secures to the wood button for easy closure. The total weight of the box is under 20 gram. Holds up very well despite the delicate nature of veneer.
GEDC0490[1].JPG

Box #2 - Spanx ; Dale Lynch
Tell us about your entry: Xtreme snap fit pen box. All crosscut segmented construction.Made from Zebrano and Panga Panga.They are both very porus woods,I like the effect so I tried to highlight it.The bottom has a blue/black resin center with an inlaid segmented rimgStarted with a 8 stave blank then cut and sptral stacked the disks.the center was made from some of the leftover blank sandwiched between the 2 woods.the inlay rings were also cut from the base blank.The finish is thin flex CA.
pen box.jpg

Box #3 - SMJ1957; Stephen Johnson
This pen "box" is an oak cylinder with mahogany end caps. The cylinder sits on a base of oak and walnut. One end cap is glued and the other is held on by friction and pops off to reveal the pen.
PenBox1.jpg

Box #4 - wood-of-1kind; Peter Cribari
Made from a block of cedar. Using a torch to get a burned/aged look to simulate a buried treasure chest to house one pen with a similar theme. Cedar was shaped and cut on band saw and then I used a forstner (2") bit to hog out the body of the chest. The box was mated with black stamped out hinges that were purchased along with clavos (nails)to give the appearance of an old/weathered treasure chest.
GEDC0499(1).JPG

Box #5 -; southernclay Warren Welch
This box was inspired by the Timberbits YouTube videos. It is spalted maple with a walnut lid and snakewood handle. The interior bottom is fiber flocked and the box was laid out for continuous grain pattern as you turn the box.
b.jpg

Box #6- southernclay; Warren Welch
This box was inspired by the Timberbits YouTube videos. It is curly Koa with a curly Maple lid and Amboyna Burl handle. The interior bottom is fiber flocked and the box was laid out for continuous grain pattern as you turn the box.
b6.jpg

Box #7- SteveG ; Steve Guzy
The box is made from Hawaiian Curly Koa and Gabon Ebony. The exterior features a hand rubbed lacquer finish which surrounds an interior carefully upholstered in plush imported satin. The design is elegant...intended to compliment the "best of the best" high end pens...so the cushy soft interior will accept the largest of the component-set pens, but will also provide a suitable home for "Jr." series pens. Consideration was given to ease of use: the interior space and shape invitingly allow the pen owner to easily grip his or her pen when removing it from the box. A pleasing design note: a set of nearly unseen hinge stops were utilized to restrain the lid at an attractive angle when open, rather than allowing the lid to "plop" fully down to the desk surface.
Pen Box 1.jpg

Box #8- jojomcdugal ; Joe Quinlan
Maple with walnut ends. I drilled and turned the outside of the box, then drilled and turned the inside of the box and made a cut out for the pen.
box1.jpg

Box #9- greenmtnguy; Alton Folsom
I started with a plain board and routed the pen slot by setting up a jig with stops and used a plunge router to deepen the groove slowly because of the size of the router bit. Then applied Leopard wood veneer dyed Black.
boxes 002 copy(1).jpg

Box #10- greenmtnguy; Alton Folsom
I started with a board cut to size. Routed the pen groove with a plunge router and a jig with stops. Then cut the free form front and flocked the pen groove. Finished with poly and steel wooled to kill the shine, leaving a warm feeling finish.
boxes 005 copy.jpg

Box #11- Nedge; Ed Tremblay
This Pen Case is made from a 10 " piece of a Black Locust branch. Pruned by Arborists and left on the ground, the bark had fallen off exposing the Bast of the branch which is the first layer beneath the Bark. Groves were cut on the table saw to hold the pen. The lid to the box and base were lightly sanded to blend in the sides that had been glued in place. I left the top of the box Natural showing the cracks from years of being exposed to the weather. The inside was solid. Picture hanging pins were used to create a pivot point through the sides of the top into the base to allow the lid to open and store your favorite pen. The first photo is taken vertically to the show detail of the finished lid. A light coat of oil was applied to the box as a finish. Overall Dimension 2" x 2 "x 7" .
DSC02256.jpg

jttheclockman

Thanks Mannie for posting this. Good to put a name on a piece of art work. Have to say there was a surprise or two there. This was probably the hardest contest to pick a winner for me. I am passionate about this type of concept because it expands the world of pen turning and it supports it. To add value to your pen with the addition of some artwork like these means alot. Nicely run contest. Congrats to the winners and also congrats to those who entered. This being a new catagory I think it has proven in it very first flight it will be here to stay. Look forward to next years and I really hope I do not have to wait that long to continue to see beautiful work like this throughout the year.

Good job by all.

Top Bottom