Pelikan body material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CRKoralage

I am pretty amazed by how Pelikan pens are made.
here is the youtube video if you are interested.

My question is what exactly the body material of Pelikan Soveran series? They say that it is cellulose acetate (another name for celluloid?). How are they made with stripes? Are there any pen makers who make custom pen with similar stripe materials? I have seen some acrylic sheets from Erinoid.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CRKoralage

Cellulose acetate starts out like cellulose nitrate (celluloid), but undergoes a different chemical reaction to break down the plant fibers and plasticize them. Here is a video on how Mazzuchelli makes theirs. Who ever makes Pelikan's material likely does it the same way.
This is so good to know. Thank you very much. Why aren't there more companies who make these beautiful material ?

Also, do pen makers buy these plates?

jttheclockman

I was always fascinated by how anything was made. The seeing of tools and machines and the assembly line systems used is mind blowing and it always gets me thinking how did someone think of his. The robotics along with the talented people doing hand work is amazing. I could watch things being made for days. I thank you for the link. Within that link there is a ton more videos that I will probably take a look at over time. I have bookmarked this thread. My pen that I always like looking at and tried copying some designs from is the Montegrappa pens. All the top designers probably use same type processes for all parts. They have their own secrets for formulas. What got my juices flowing was when they showed the blank rod room where all the Montegrappa rods are stored. I want some. I am fortunate to own a few rods and have used them on pens and as with Pelican and all those big pen companies their blanks so out weigh any on the market that we use. If you are lucky enough to source a few of these rods you need to treasure them and save for the best of the best. The techique to polish and and cut blanks puts our work to shame but this is why their pens are so expensive. We are a one person shop doing some of the things they do but at such a smaller scale.

The videos does give us all a perspective of what pen making can be at its highest levels. We stride to at least play in the same arena. Not playing on the same field but we put are best product out there for others to enjoy. Happy pen turning.

jttheclockman

This is so good to know. Thank you very much. Why aren't there more companies who make these beautiful material ?

Much of the materials weather old or newer versions usually require extreme caution because of health issues and the ingredients. Just like they said in the Montegrappa tape their material is highly flammable and they almost lost their entire plant due to fire. Now they store materials in separate rooms. This materials are expensive to make and would be to purchase too. This is why you see imitation designs that we use being sold by vendors.

VERY dangerous to produce and requires specialized equipment. We've been asked before but I haven't jumped down this particular rabbit hole. The reason you see a bunch of alumilite, epoxy and PR blanks is because you can throw together decent blanks in your garage if you're so inclined. This is production level stuff. :)

Top Bottom