PC Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greggas

O.K. I feel a little stupid. So here it goes....I have been reading all of the posts I can find in preparation of taking the Polymer Clay plunge ( looks too fun not to try) but I cannot figure out one basic step. Do you simply wrap the clay around the tube, bake and a sufficient bond results? Or do you apply glue ( I have seen references to both CA and Polyurethane glue in the posts) at some point in the process.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papaturner

Greg, I have tried both methods. I have baked without the tube,drilled and then ca`ed the tube in the "blank". I have also wrapped the clay around the tube and baked. I did not glue or CA the clay on the tube, I figured the heat would break down the CA losing the effect of adhereing it to the tube.
However I do not know this to be a fact so maybe someone who really knows will let us both know.:biggrin:
Hope this helps.

Greg,

Welcome to the dark side. As for glue this is the process I use.

1. I use a small metal file to scratch the tube.
2. I apply a thin layer of white glue (I use a brand named "crafters pick - the ultimate" that can be found online or at Hobby Lobby if you have them. I use this specific brand because it holds up to heat well and It hasn't failed me yet.)
3. Let the glue dry until it is just slightly tacky.
4. Wrap your tube, hide the seams, and trim the ends.
5. Bake and turn.

This process has worked for me. Like most things you will get many different answers. Hopefully you can adapt one that works for you. Good luck!

greggas

Perry and Nathan thanks for the tips.

Keith....thanks for the link to the PC website...very cool. Now to find that glue

snyiper

Another "way" that I use is Gorilla Glue as I wrap and the heat from baking sets it. No blowouts due to glue, air pockets and dull tool have done it but I have to cut the rest off the tube!!! Just my way!

greggas

Glenn;

that is interesting...do you wet the glue to activate it in addition to the heat you mentioned? Why Do you not have any issues with the way Gorilla GLue expands? I would think that it would force the clay off the tube

Top Bottom