Paying for stuff from Canada?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

les-smith

I just got a bill in the mail from some folks in Canada that I have bought some stuff from. How do you think I should pay for it? It's only 10 dollars and I've been known to send cash via the postal. Should I send US dollars, Canadian dollars, cashiers check, etc? They don't do Paypal so that's out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Confederate Dollars? [:D] I'd drop them an email and ask which currency the bill was in and what the current conversion rate is. Then, pay it in the currency you use. BTW, money orders are cheap, and likely better than cash in the mail.

FWIW,

cozee

If sending a money order, you should ask them what types they will accept also. The few times I've sent a money order to the Great White North (coo, coo coo coo coo, coo coo coo!!) they have asked for the international ones from the Post Office.

arioux

Hi,

Unless your guy has a us$ account at his bank, cashing a regular money order will cost him anywhre from $5 to $7 cdn. An international one will cost him anywhere from nothing to $3 depending on the type of bank account he as (you should check with him).

Now making an international money order will cost you a few $, and on a 10. transaction, that a very high % of fee's. Cash between two pieces of cardboard or eavy weight paper (can't be seen thru the light) in a registered envelope (less costly) seems the better solution. US$ are easy to change here, every bank will take them without fees and give us the daily exchange rate.

les-smith

Originally posted by arioux
<br /> Cash between two pieces of cardboard or eavy weight paper (can't be seen thru the light) in a registered envelope (less costly) seems the better solution. US$ are easy to change here, every bank will take them without fees and give us the daily exchange rate.

This is how I've handle stuff before, but never to Canada. I talked to them today and they told me to just send a personal check. If I send him a personal check will it cost him money to cash it?

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by cozee
<br />If sending a money order, you should ask them what types they will accept also. The few times I've sent a money order to the Great White North (coo, coo coo coo coo, coo coo coo!!) they have asked for the international ones from the Post Office.

Correct, they must be the 'international' type and they are considerably more to purchase (higher fee). For $10 my choice is to simply pop cash into an envelope and mail out. I've had US customers send me up tp $90 US in cash in regular mail envelopes. No problem with reaching my Canadian destination to date. No losses despite my rants about poor postal services from both sides of the border.

-Peter-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom