Pay Pal Scam

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

I suspect this email I received is a scam. I tried to forward it to Pay Pal but after searching their site for fifteen minutes, I couldn't locate an email. The reason I suspect it is a scam is that I have never had any reoccurring payments set up through Pay Pal and also there are no alerts on my PayPal account. I have copied the email and it is attached to the bottom of this message. Unfortunately the very official Pay Pal logo didn't copy nor the two buttons to select to select an option to remedy this. I wish it did because it sure did look authentic.

Seven

Confirm
your info.
Hi Duane Luneau,

To keep using the money in your PayPal balance to send or spend, you'll need to confirm your account information by October 28, 2018. This is one of the ways we help keep your account secure.

You'll want to pay special attention to this because we noticed that you've set up at least one automatic payment. That means you've authorized a vendor or retailer to automatically charge your PayPal Business account when you buy something from certain sites or pay for something on a recurring basis, like a subscription.
You've got options.

Continue using your
PayPal balance.
To continue making automatic payments using your PayPal balance—or to send or spend directly from your balance—please confirm your account information by October 28, 2018.

To do that, simply click Confirm Your Info and you'll be directed to a secure PayPal confirmation page. Or, you can log into your PayPal Business account, click Notifications at the top of the page, and follow the instructions.

Confirm Your Info

Don't use your
PayPal balance.
If you don't confirm your account information, you can still use PayPal for automatic payments, as well as for sending and spending, but you'll need to have another payment method linked to your account, like a bank or card.

Click Link Bank/Card or log into your account, go to the Money tab, and follow the instructions to add a payment method or to make sure the ones on file are up-to-date.

Link Bank/Card

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Seems fishy. . I would not click on "Confirm Your Info" .

You can phone PayPal.

I have done that several times.

You have to dig around on their website but eventually you will find the phone number.

The general procedure is: First click on "Help" at the top of the main page screen. . Then you have to fiddle around until you get an icon in the shape of a telephone hand-piece.. You click on that (and there might be another step). . Eventually you will be given their phone number AND a one-time use, 6-digit passcode. . Dial the phone number and be prepared to enter the one-time passcode. . After that you will be placed in a queue for the next available operator (who could be in South East Asia or Central America). . I think (and hope) that is the correct procedure.

I can't go through the procedure to get the number for you because I am in Canada and the number would be different than for you.

Here is a link to the page where I found the icon in the shape of a telephone hand-piece. . (Can't guarantee it will work for you, though; you will notice that it has "ca" in it which is specific to Canada.)

https://www.paypal.com/ca/smarthelp/contact-us

Last edited:

cdwrrtx

This is a technique called "phishing".

Many unsuspecting people have gone to these websites and "logged in" and provided credit card or other sensitive info. The login is fake and just collects your Paypal account info and then what ever they ask for on the following pages. The crooks now have two avenues to clean you out.

Your CC and access to your Paypal account.

Never follow the links in these kind of emails. Go directly to the company website (whatever company it says it is from) and login through your normal access. Most will notify you after login if there is something wrong with your account.

I get them for banks that I don't even do business with....

Always err on the side of caution....

Gary Beasley

Anytime you get something like this and youre not sure of its validity go to Paypal independently, not through the email links, and log in. If there really is an issue you will likely be directed to a page where you can handle the problem. Most likely you will see the email for what it is at that point.

MDWine

As most will know this, but maybe we can help one or two...

NEVER use a link in ANY email to go to a site, especially a financial site.
Even when you get legitimate correspondence from a site, never use the link in the email. If the request is legit, there will be information in your legitimate account corroborating the request.

Not all scammers are from third world countries using bad grammar as a tip-off. Ya gotta be real careful!

Loucurr

Any message sent from PayPal will be in your account in box. Never click on a link instead go to your web browser and type in the web address and go that way to confirm anything. I always send these to spoof@paypal.com. They will follow up on everyone and work to stop them.

Top Bottom