Patriotic Mesquite slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

This pen is a slimline made in mesquite. The CB treatment is one of Ken Nelson's (http://www.kallenshaanwoods.com)kits. The CB kit is for the Euro, but I used it on this slimline. Finish is CA and boiled linseed oil. Enjoy and comments welcome.

2006101154815_IMG_1472-1.jpg

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tea Clipper

Very nice work Don! Pressing in all of those little stars looks like a real fun job. [B)] I bet those extras came in handy (they would for me [:I]).

PenWorks

Very sharp pen virgil [:)] I must be living in the closet, I have not seen those center bands before.
Are they something new from Ken?

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />Very sharp pen virgil [:)] I must be living in the closet, I have not seen those center bands before.

Beautiful pen, Don!

Anthony, does this mean you are coming out of the closet? [:D][}:)]

its_virgil

Anthony,
Ron McIntire gave me this set back in April and I've been looking at if since then. They've been out for awhile...Don't have any euro kits so I decided to put it on ... what else but a slimline. How does the world look on the outside?[:D]

Thanks for the comments and for looking. The little rings are very fragile. The blue star band is glued to the upper barrel and the red and white ring are glued to the lower part. I wanted to go a little smaller but was concerned about ruining the stars. Thanks again.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />Very sharp pen virgil [:)] I must be living in the closet, I have not seen those center bands before.

Dario

Add me to the "I like it too" group [:D]

That looks like something I also want to try. [^] Just hoping it comes out as nice [:D]

GBusardo

Really sharp looking pen!! Nice looking mesquite also. Great idea on using it on a slim. Was that mesquite hard to turn? Looks like it the pen came from two different blanks, am I right? Did you have to make a tenon as if you were doing a euro?
Thanks

its_virgil

Mesquite is a wonderful wood to turn and one of my[ favorites. Mesquite is very invasive here in Texas (and probably elsewhere) and most people never think that wood as nice as this comes from our "mesquite pastures". Most of my mesquite comes from the local sources. This piece was from a tree removed from my yard, which was a mesquite pasture two years ago.

This pen is actually from one blank...amazing how much differece there is between the two parts. And yes, I turned a tennon, glued on the CB parts, placed both barrels on the mandrel with no center bushing and shaped the pen...being careful not to turn past the stars.

Thanks for all of the comments. I too, may do a few more of these...if this one sells....CB Inlay kit is $12.95...that adds quite a price jump to a pen.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
quote]Originally posted by GBusardo
<br />Really sharp looking pen!! Nice looking mesquite also. Great idea on using it on a slim. Was that mesquite hard to turn? Looks like it the pen came from two different blanks, am I right? Did you have to make a tenon as if you were doing a euro?
Thanks
[/quote]

Dario

Originally posted by GBusardo
<br />Really sharp looking pen!! Nice looking mesquite also. Great idea on using it on a slim. Was that mesquite hard to turn? Looks like it the pen came from two different blanks, am I right? Did you have to make a tenon as if you were doing a euro?
Thanks

Gary,

If you want, I can send you some of my mesquite 2nds and scraps for the price of shipping (and paypal fees). Just let me know.

I need to do a some garage clean up and thinning anyways.

Skye

I like that kit more than something like the flag kits because it still leaves a lot for the turner to create.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom