Parts for Mastermind game?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chasboy1

Chasboy1

Hi folks, I don't know if this is TOO off topic, but I guess it's a machining question. We gave our granddaughters our original Mastermind game and one of them loves to play it, and she's very good at it as well.
Trouble is many of the smaller pegs (the little black/white ones) have been lost and I tried to make some for her using rivets with the heads painted different colors. Trouble is the shafts are too big for the holes in the board. Can anyone think of a way to hold a rivet in a Shopsmith in a way that I can get a file on the lower end of the shaft? Grabbing the rivet just at the head doesn't work. Thanks, hope this wasn't too oddball of a question!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Zero clearance collet chuck. Are you cutting any length off it?? If so how about drilling a hole in a piece of wood and epoxy the rivet in and then turn to desired diameter and turn off.

Curly

What diameter are the holes. Aircraft rivets come in sizes starting at 3/32" and lengths to an inch in that diameter. If you only need a few find a company that does repairs to aircraft and they may give/sell you some , otherwise they are sold by the pound. Aircraft Spruce and Specialty sell them.

The other thing to do is to make them from scratch in one go. Marla used to make replacement finials for the caps of Jr. Gents by using a tenon cutter ( http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=42292&cat=1,180,42288&ap=1 ) to quickly round a blank and then chuck it in the lathe to turn. Later I bought some Morse Taper Collets ( https://www.amazon.ca/shank-Round-C...t&qid=1560954381&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1 ) and used them with a length of all thread to close the collet. You could do the same with any coloured blank you like.

I don't suppose you can drill out the holes to fit the rivets you have?

Chasboy1

Drilling out the holes would ruin the game board for the original markers. I think I'll look into the other rivets you mentioned.

Lucky2

There are different sizes of rivets, did you try more then one size? If you think a rivet would be the best way to go, try getting different sized ones.

Len

Top Bottom