Parallel Epidemic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

We all know about the COVID19 pandemic. But it seems to me that there is a parallel epidemic that isn't getting as much attention.

Now that we are isolating at home, it seems to me that the frequency of potentially malicious spam e-mail has also increased. I routinely get two or three e-mails every day from banks or credit card companies claiming that someone has tried to access my account and suggesting that I click a link to address that concern. In the case of banks, a surprising number of these messages appear to come from well-known banks where I don't even have an account. And even when the message appears to come from a business where I do have an account, checking with the company reveals that they didn't send the message.

Last night, I got an e-mail from someone claiming to have embarrassing pictures of me that supposedly were captured by downloading a virus to my computer that enabled them to turn on the webcam. They threatened to send copies of the pictures to my friends unless I sent them $2000 in bitcoin. Obviously, they didn't actually send me copies of the pictures they claimed to have. But the most revealing flaw in their attempt at extortion was that my computer doesn't actually have a webcam!

This situation calls for some common sense:
1. Never click any link in an e-mail from a source you don't know personally know.
2. Never use links in e-mail messages from entities that you do know. Under normal circumstances, I would suggest making a phone call to be business to confirm the legitimacy of suspicious e-mails, but many businesses have closed their call centers during the lockdown. So instead, go directly to the web site where you normally conduct business with that entity using the URL that you normally use to access their site. Make sure that you use a URL that you have used before - my browser is set up to verify URLs against a master list before it will allow me to enter my password. If the e-mail is legitimate, you should be able to find something on the web site that refers to the matter. If there is nothing on the web site about the matter, assume that the e-mail was bogus unless and until you hear something further from the company.
3. Search for, and get familiar with the 'mark as spam' and 'block this sender' options in your e-mail client, and use them liberally to flag any e-mail that you suspect is bogus.
4. Be very careful about messages coming through social media (especially Facebook). If you don't know the sender, treat it as suspicious.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
My wife rarely used her credit card when we lived overseas, alway mine. Then one day she used it for three birthday gifts for 3 people (relatives) that had birthdays on 3 consecutive days. Then the next week: Supposedly from her banking card -"We noticed that you recently purchased some things and want to alert you that someone may have stolen your information" . . . yada yada.

When she saw that she said "I need to respond to them, someone has stolen my card information."
Me: "NO DON'T do that. It is pure coincidence. They are phishing."
Wife: "But this is all true."
Me: COINCIDENCE!
After an argument, I said call our IT guy (a personal friend) and ask him. After another argument before she replied to the email, I did convince her to call. He told and convinced her that it was a spam/phishing scam.

For a year she asked me almost daily about phishing emails; now she is wise to them.

walshjp17

Good advice, Louie. Another tip: On most suspect emails you can just click on the sender's email address to see where it is supposedly actually coming from. In 90% + of the cases you will likely see an address that in no way represents who they say they are; a definite verification of the bogusness (is that a word?) of the email. Other emails will attempt to imitate the real addresses. For example, I have seen emails purporting to be from Apple security with an address of xx@apple.security.fraudunit.com. All those extras 'dots' should be a clue. Domain registrars need to get a better handle on how to avoid issuing these bogus domains.

Curly

Don't click on emails from friends or acquaintances that say something like" I thought you would like this." or "This is a laugh." and then a link. More trouble. Open a new email and ask your friend if they sent you something.

monophoto

Re Hanks arguments with his wife - - - sounds just like my wife and me!

Re John's point about checking e-mail addresses - - -absolutely correct. And it's interesting how many of those bogus e-mails appear to originate from either the Charter Communications (Road Runner) world or one of the freebie e-mail systems like Google, Yahoo or Microsoft.

Re Pete's point about e-mails from friends starting with "I thought you would like this' or 'This is a laugh' - most of the time, I either don't like it or don't consider it at all funny. We have a friend who insists on sending out a daily e-mail with supposedly humorous things (graphics, videos, etc) - my wife gets really upset when I delete them without even opening them.

The best thing I've found with CC's are to call the number on the back of the card. Is quick response. I've had my company credit card info stolen in the past and found out while trying to check into a hotel. One quick calls get's it resolved but I also always carried a back up credit card just in case.

Top Bottom