Paper template for the index plate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gmcnut

Hi all,

A fellow penturner and I just took possession of our new Beall Pen Wizard. We went in together and are trying out a co-op arrangement. I went to the IAP library and printed the template for the index wheel. The trouble is it prints out almost twice the size of what is needed. The index wheel is about 3-1/2" diameter and the template prints out at 6" in diameter.

Can anyone help?

Very excited to get started with this new tool.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KBs Pensnmore

Congratulations on your purchase. When you go to print it out you should be able to resize it.
When I first got mine I did all the mods that was suggested mounting it on a solid base with angle to support it. There is a lot of good advise here. Another mod I did was to mount a small drill chuck to be able to hold lace bobbins and other small items. We have a distributor of the PW in AU that has a 3 jaw chuck similar to the Nova G3 that allows larger items to be mounted, it's made by Proxxon Part no 21-114 $115.95AU available from http://www.cwsonline.com]. Carroll's Woodcraft Supplies.
When you have got it set up, put some scrap blanks with 1/4" bore in there and make alterations on the gear ratios and mark them on the different blanks, so that you will be able to show clients the different patterns available and have the gear ratios to replicate them easily without having to trial and error them.
ENJOY
Kryn

Last edited:

gmcnut

Thank you Kryn and Grampy122. Kryn is either of the chucks in links that Grampy122 posted familiar to you?

Kryn, I've purchased a small 1/4" trim router to mount on the Pen Wizard. Do you have any experience with this?

Thank you both,

Mark Elmer

KBs Pensnmore

Thank you Kryn and Grampy122. Kryn is either of the chucks in links that Grampy122 posted familiar to you?

Kryn, I've purchased a small 1/4" trim router to mount on the Pen Wizard. Do you have any experience with this?

Thank you both,

Mark Elmer

Hi Mark, one of the chucks is a micro chuck, that is used for holding very small drill bits, the chuck I used is a 3/8 capacity chuck, that was fitted to the indexing block, by drilling and tapping it to suit the chuck, and using a cut off bolt.
I used a Makita trim router. Will load details and pictures tomorrow.
Kryn

KBs Pensnmore

Hi Mark here are some pictures of the drill chuck set up
Drill chuck showing 3/8 UNF threaded bolt adaptor, and modified engagement block
chuck.jpg
Partly assembled
chuck 1.jpg
Assembled ready for tightening.
chuck 2.jpg

Kryn

KBs Pensnmore

Showing laminate trimmer mounting set up.
2.75" X 2" X 5/16" clear perspex adaptor converter block and 2.25" X 1.25" X .5 Corian spacer Block
trimmer3.jpg
Showing assembly of plates, large plate 5.25" X 3.5" X 5/16" clear mounting base plate.
trimmer5.jpg
Trimmer mount slotted 5/8"
trimmer4.jpg
Trimmer mount attached to base plate
trimmer2.jpg
Showing complete set up ready to mount to PW using 1.25" X.25" UNC Bolts. Ideally bolts could be 1.375" X .25" (13/8" X 1/4")
trimmer7.jpg

Hope this helps. If you want more details I'll try to do a drawing plan.
Kryn

Last edited:
Top Bottom