Palladium?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

What is Palladium? It looks like chrome to me. Is it worth the extra dollar?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

What is Palladium? It looks like chrome to me. Is it worth the extra dollar?

It's a precious metal in the same family as platinum. So is rhodium. Both hold up way better than chrome. But they are costly. Rhodium is going at about $14,000 an ounce these days. I think it's worth paying extra as they are very durable finishes.

David350

Jim, I am assuming you are asking this question in response to the email that EB sent out last night. If you haven't made the Diana (AKA Zoe) before, it is a really nice pen IMO, especially for the ladies as it uses the parker refill and is on the smaller size, diameter wise. Please note that it actually uses 8mm tubes, not the 7mm as shown in the EB email ad. I did email EB to alert them to this....

qquake

Jim, I am assuming you are asking this question in response to the email that EB sent out last night. If you haven't made the Diana (AKA Zoe) before, it is a really nice pen IMO, especially for the ladies as it uses the parker refill and is on the smaller size, diameter wise. Please note that it actually uses 8mm tubes, not the 7mm as shown in the EB email ad. I did email EB to alert them to this....
Yes, that's where I saw the Diana kits. I'm a sucker for pens with crystals.

BULLWINKLE

Jim, the only crystal pen I've done is the PSI Majestic Squire. Not ostentatious, one crystal on the end of the clip. Classy looking.

Attachments

• 16F77A84-E77B-4CB7-9012-14565C067857.jpeg
    16F77A84-E77B-4CB7-9012-14565C067857.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 65

qquake

I've made those. I've also made several Arete pens from Woodcraft. They too have a single crystal on the clip. I made this one in honor of Debbie at work, who passed away from breast cancer. We auctioned it off and donated the proceeds to METAvivor.

Attachments

• 065.jpg
    065.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 45

BULLWINKLE

I've made those. I've also made several Arete pens from Woodcraft. They too have a single crystal on the clip. I made this one in honor of Debbie at work, who passed away from breast cancer. We auctioned it off and donated the proceeds to METAvivor.
Good looking pen. I need to get some next trip into Woodcraft.

qquake

They only make them in chrome, but they do make both rollerball and fountain versions.

Attachments

• 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 088.jpg
    088.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 41

magpens

In response to Jim's question which opened this thread, and complementing some replies already posted, further details about Palladium :

And for comparison by those possibly interested, some details about Chromium:

There are presently 118 elements known to exist, and that number gets added to once in a while as a new discovery is made.
When I went to school, there were just over a hundred elements, and I was just now surprised to learn that number is now 118.

The most recently discovered elements have very short existences and are "fabricated" in nuclear accelerator research experiments.

As you'd all know, all materials are made from the elements and combinations of them.
Of the 118, perhaps only 92 are naturally-occurring, with uranium having the highest atomic number (92) of the "naturals".
But even the "92" is in dispute, with some sources saying there are actually 98 "naturals".

Each element is characterized by a so-called atomic number which is unique and equal to the number of protons in its nucleus.
In addition to the protons in the nucleus of an atom there can also be a number of neutrons, sometimes even exceeding the number of protons.
"Surrounding" the nucleus (protons + neutrons) of an atom is a "cloud" of electrons, equal in number to the number of protons.
Palladium has 46 protons and 60 neutrons, although the neutron number can vary with different "isotopes" (varieties) of palladium.

I do not have qualifications in nuclear physics, but I did get exposure to some of its fundamental concepts.

Thank you for tolerating my digression . . some may find interest . . . But, I think I have nearly reached the time limit for editing this post !

As a parting note, the precious metal element, gold, has 79 protons and 118 neutrons in its most common "natural" form.

Wikipedia is one of the Internet's fantastic resources for those wanting to explore these sorts of sidelines to pen making !
And if you dream up a good question . . . just about any question . . . fire it off to Google, as I've done many times in writing this.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Jim , I too am a sucker for classy crystal pens. I love all the Majestics and at times I replace the clear crystal with a colored one or make my own to match pen blank. But my all time favorite so far is the Dayacom "Venus" kit with the Swarovski crystal in the top of the cap and the small ones on the center band. It shouts classy and you can get big money for those pens. I put an Omas silver blank on one and really need to get better photos of it to show it off here. Love that pen. One of my all time favorites.

ztm40pgc20090916170628.jpg

jttheclockman

The Venus is a great looking pen kit that I hadn't seen before. But wow are they expensive!
Yea. It is a Dayacom kit. Still think they make the best kits on the market today. Too bad they are all so expensive and hard to get without having to buy so many at one time. I remember on this site we all tried to get a dealer here in the states to handle their kits but that has fallen through the cracks. I am guessing Ed tried but sales were not good enough. Have to remember if making kits like that just backend the price to compensate and save those great looking blanks for them. It does work.

Dannv

Yea. It is a Dayacom kit. Still think they make the best kits on the market today. Too bad they are all so expensive and hard to get without having to buy so many at one time. I remember on this site we all tried to get a dealer here in the states to handle their kits but that has fallen through the cracks. I am guessing Ed tried but sales were not good enough. Have to remember if making kits like that just backend the price to compensate and save those great looking blanks for them. It does work.
Exotic Blanks and Turner's Warehouse both carry at least some Dayacom kits as does Arizona Silhouette. They are definitely a more expensive kit, but the quality makes them worth it. (At least until China decides to take over Taiwan.)

jttheclockman

Exotic Blanks and Turner's Warehouse both carry at least some Dayacom kits as does Arizona Silhouette. They are definitely a more expensive kit, but the quality makes them worth it. (At least until China decides to take over Taiwan.)
Yes I know of these vendors. Being you are new here this probably has no value to you but older members remember we use to do many group buys here. We would have a member volunteer to handle a buy of something and then get the product and ship out to those that joined. It was alot of work but what it did was give the membership a chance to buy things at a cheaper rate because we would take advantage of the buy more and get a better rate pricing of items. One or two of those buys was with Dayacom and we were able to get some good deals on their expensive pens. This is basically how vendors buy when they buy in bulk. The problem comes into play with vendors is that is alot of capital they need to lay out originally with no gurantees when and if they will sell the kits. Vendors tend to gravitate to kits that sell more easily and that usually is the cheaper kits. Paying $100 for one kit is not for everyone. Thus the small market of Dayacom kits available.

Many here probably remember many of these group buys such as when the craze for making kitless pens ran through here and we bought taps and dies for reasonable pricing. We had shaving brushes, money clips, specialty blanks and many pen kits and much more. The good old days here.:)

Dannv

Many here probably remember many of these group buys such as when the craze for making kitless pens ran through here and we bought taps and dies for reasonable pricing. We had shaving brushes, money clips, specialty blanks and many pen kits and much more. The good old days here.:)

Lots of hobbies have done that over time. Seems to be a thing of the past, though.

I am doing mostly kitless pens, at the moment. More challenge and more enjoyable time for the same cost. :) Now, if I could find a market for them that would pay for the time and materials, I'd be set. LOL

Top Bottom