Painting tubes for casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Enamel paint for models, you can buy the little jars or spray cans. Which is better? Personal preference combined with how much time and/or potential waste you are willing to have. Spray is faster for the inside of blanks and will have more waste but for just tubes, brushing on the enamel may be more efficient.

JohnU

If your curing clear resin over them where the tubes will be seen I would use a high temp spray paint like for engines or grill paint. Most others may wrinkle or distort in the firing heat. If they are color casts, I would glue the painted tubes in and also paint the hole after they are cured, like mentioned above.

hertzogcraig

If your curing clear resin over them where the tubes will be seen I would use a high temp spray paint like for engines or grill paint. Most others may wrinkle or distort in the firing heat. If they are color casts, I would glue the painted tubes in and also paint the hole after they are cured, like mentioned above.
This is what I was looking for, thank you, John. Yeah, I'm looking to do some label casting, but some tubes I will be painting instead of putting labels on.

Woodchipper

Thanks as I have some pens with synthetic blanks; hesitate to say acrylic as they all aren't acrylic. Looked at my inventory and some are very translucent, requiring painting the hole before inserting the tube.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I completely agree with the 'wrinkle' effect, but I'll offer an opinion that on several of mine the visual of the wrinkling was appealing for certain applications.

hertzogcraig

IMG_0286.jpeg

Thanks for the help yesterday guys. Have to say I'm impressed with how my first cast tubes came out. Tried some different paints and resins

jttheclockman

I agree with Ken. Unless this was just an experiment, why bother casting plain painted blanks? Inquiring minds would like to know.

JohnU

That's hilarious! I always liked his show. He made it look so easy. My brother started painting by following along as he watched. He's an artist and art teacher today. Bob always inspired me to try. Somebody once said I resemble him. I never got that.

Attachments

• IMG_8741.png
    IMG_8741.png
    840.2 KB · Views: 10

hertzogcraig

What's the end game here? I can't figure out why you'd cast bare tubes.
1716198983016.png

Not my photo, I hope its ok that I'm using BGArtforms photo, if not, I'll remove it, but I'm making several of these blanks for friends. Plus lots of other ideas with painted tubes as well.

jttheclockman

Yes there are many ways to deal with this part of blank making as well as many materials that can be used. At one time I dabbled in powdercoating tubes and this method is excellent in that it is a tough finish and does not react with any resins when done. there are many colors to choose from too. The down side is it is messy and also time consuming if doing one or two tubes at a time.

Then there is wrapping the tube with sleeve material such as carbon fibers or other materials such as vinyls. I have gone this route these days because again many colors to choose from and easy to do individual tubes. With sleeve material you do not have seams but with flat wraps you have the seam that can be annoying to some people. This has a negative reaction to some and others like myself do not mind. At times I try hiding it the best I could.

Then there is painting such as you did. Negative about this is not all paints react the same with all resins so need to be aware of this. But again many colors to choose from.

Good luck in your trip down this path in blank making. I am sure at some time you will try different things.

RunnerVince

I completely agree with the 'wrinkle' effect, but I'll offer an opinion that on several of mine the visual of the wrinkling was appealing for certain applications.
The trouble with these sorts of happy little accidents is that it's difficult to achieve repeatability. If you can't make it happen when you want, and keep it from happening when you don't, then it's not all that useful. You'll get lucky sometimes, but relying on luck is a recipe for waste.

XanderPen

The trouble with these sorts of happy little accidents is that it's difficult to achieve repeatability. If you can't make it happen when you want, and keep it from happening when you don't, then it's not all that useful. You'll get lucky sometimes, but relying on luck is a recipe for waste.
Why are all pen tubes brass? I cannot seem to find other metal tubing in the same ID/OD. Its always a little off. Aluminum would be easier to color/hide than brass.

jttheclockman

Why are all pen tubes brass? I cannot seem to find other metal tubing in the same ID/OD. Its always a little off. Aluminum would be easier to color/hide than brass.
You can find the same OD in aluminum but not same ID. As is hard to find same ID in brass too. Brass is a soft material and drawn out that thin it will all components to be pressed into it and they will stay without the brass flexing. If you ever tried powdercoating you would find brass very easy to color any color you desire. It is a tool that can be used on pen making. Thoughts to think about.

XanderPen

You can find the same OD in aluminum but not same ID. As is hard to find same ID in brass too. Brass is a soft material and drawn out that thin it will all components to be pressed into it and they will stay without the brass flexing. If you ever tried powdercoating you would find brass very easy to color any color you desire. It is a tool that can be used on pen making. Thoughts to think about.
I have tried to plate them with nickel and copper a few times unsuccessfully.

Top Bottom