Out with the old, in with the new (Proxxon PD 400)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

I purchased the Seig style lathe in 2017. It has been OK but that's all. Far from well made. After some research I went with the Proxxon PD 400. I have not used it yet, just completed the installation. Initial impression is very good. Night and day difference in fit and finish.
And a shot of the supervisor, Huck, the best shop dog I've had.
052C79CE-62F1-439A-968C-11C02898A257.jpeg
A1D4E6DE-21AF-41B1-AEC6-2861FB740319.jpeg
451F20AF-BA50-4EEE-B142-7395B6BF41AC.jpeg
7E00DB9D-732D-462C-B50F-34798DD14BC6.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@PatrickR
Wow .... that's a nice looking lathe !!
Congratulations on the new acquisition !!!
I'll keep that one in mind when I go to replace my Sieg.

Looks like it has a second crank for horizontal travel ... on the far right-hand end.

I hope you got the permission of Huck to buy it !! . . . LOL !!

PatrickR

@PatrickR
Wow .... that's a nice looking lathe !!
Congratulations on the new acquisition !!!
I'll keep that one in mind when I go to replace my Sieg.

Looks like it has a second crank for horizontal travel ... on the far right-hand end.

I hope you got the permission of Huck to buy it !! . . . LOL !!
I will put through the paces and report back.
Here's a pic of the gearbox to give an idea of the quality.
C4A41728-A076-4BAF-A04A-5087A0B379EA.jpeg

magpens

WOW !!!!! . . . That is BEAUTIFUL ..... insofar as a lathe can be "beautiful".

I like that the gears are metal and I like that the end-cover is hinged for easy access.

Anxiously awaiting your detailed further "reporting" in due course !!!

PatrickR

WOW !!!!! . . . That is BEAUTIFUL ..... insofar as a lathe can be "beautiful".

I like that the gears are metal and I like that the end-cover is hinged for easy access.

Anxiously awaiting your detailed further "reporting" in due course !!!
German manufacturing! Although I'm sure the Chinese can make quality, they seem to choose not to with lathes.
it came with a full set of metric and imperial change gears. Also a gear to change the feed rate. I believe the far right feed knob is so that you don't introduce changes/wobble to a surface by cranking on the carriage.

i have a couple things to do first that I know would be problematic on the old lathe.

PatrickR

I have done a few things with the new lathe so far. Everything about it is far superior to the Chinese lathe.
Here's a few thoughts.
It runs quieter even with metal gears.
There is no sloppy feeling in the wheels or adjustments. I have not done any polishing on the gibs. The old lathe I couldn't get rid of it even with polishing and use.
There is no adjustment on the tail stock (i knew this when I purchased it) and it was out just a little. This was easily and quickly fixed with some shim tape. It is now perfect and will stay that way. That was a major pain on the old one. I spent a lot of time adjusting the tail stock and before long it would be out again. Causing slight tapers. I learned to live with it. When drilling this one is silky smooth and the old one was notchy.
To adjust the guide play you have to do it from the bottom. Not very convenient, as it is bolted down (of course). So I cut an access hole in the table so it can be done without moving the lathe. This worked out to be multi purpose. I keep a trash can under the table and it now I can brush shavings/swarf into the hole.

Drawbacks -
Cost...
Availability of accessories, this model is not officially sold in the US. There are similar, smaller models that are though.
My er32 flange won't fit as is, and the official one is proprietary and VERY expensive. I can get mine to work with a sleeve but will have to see. I'm not sure that I can make one with tight enough tolerance. If not I'll check with a machine shop.

PatrickR

i haven't made many pens yet but have it prepare. I put my indexing jig on it. I made a shaft from lignum and i just tap it in with a mallet. Spent some time making trim ring blanks today. I was using a very old Dremel that had a lot of play in it and doing a lot of hand cranking. I like the lathe so much I got a Proxxon unit and it is far superior. Instead of all the cranking I used a small drill and powered the carriage. Worked great. I will work out something different in the future, maybe with a foot control and a mount so its hands free.
86AD3481-7B91-4D13-BBAB-8102F708FBAC.jpeg
75A6C2B8-ED15-459E-BC02-3049940476E8.jpeg
EE258C4A-1811-4D09-A488-6EBEDA9BA9C3.jpeg

PatrickR

Added the motor for the carriage. Used while the lathe is unplugged. It works great, makes the cutting go faster and smoother. Less then $40 in it. It should be adaptable to any lathe that the lead screw can be disengaged on.
309554EB-BEC3-4499-BCCC-3983EE805792.jpeg
08920350-9E7F-4539-837E-E90BE3FF1B50.jpeg

Top Bottom