Other turnings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBusardo

I am thinking of turning some bottle stoppers to give as gifts this holiday season. One concern I have is the finish. I would assume that the stopper might come in contact with some alcohol or some other liquids. If I were to use non treated wood, what would be my best bet for a finish? I don't think I would have a problem if I were to use some stabilized wood or some non wood, But I would be turning about 40 of these and the cost would be prohibitive.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Lacquer, Enduro or CA. Nothing shellac based. Also, make sure to include a note that the stoppers are not meant for storage of opened wine, but only for use during an evening. Prolonged exposure to alcohol vapors can cause problems with some of the platings.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Lou nailed the wood answer, but if you want to use Polyresin, we (Dawn) will pour them and sell them to you for about $2 ea in that quantity.

Then alcohol is not a problem!! But, the open bottle may corrode chrome and others, if you use the old "cork" mechanisms, that problem goes away too. (and the cost is minimal)

Just a thought, e-mail me if interested.

Draken

You can also get stainless steel bottle stoppers, I posted one yesterday in the show off your pen forum. They are supposed to be more resistant to the acids in alcohol.

Cheers,
Draken

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Draken,

I have a heck of a time getting people to pay over $10 for a stopper. So I have resisted the stainless steel. Next year, I may change my opinion, so please let us know how they do when left in the bottle for extended periods.

Thanks!!!!

broitblat

I think a good coating of wax over whatever finish should be enough to protect the wood of the stopper from occasional contact with the wine. You would not want to immerse these in wine or water or stick them in the dishwasher not matter what finish you use.

The stainless stopper bases from Ruth Niles are very durable and elegant, but they do add a bit to the cost. Check them out at www.torne-lignum.com

For another corrosion resistant solution with an even better seal (and even higher cost) check out: www.ginterenterprises.com/

Cork bases are available from a number of suppliers, provide a good seal, are inexpensive and won't corrode. On the other hand, I don't think they last as well through repeated use.

Another alternative is the silicone stoppers available from PSI (and resellers), CSUSA, and PoC. These are still inexpensive, seal well, are durable, and corrosion resistant, but I don't think they look as nice. The black ones from PoC look the best IMHO, if they're still available (I didn't see them on the web site).

Gary,
I usually use the silicon stoppers for mine... they aren't affected by the alcohol and can even be slipped off the hardwood pegs and washed without having to emerse the turning into water.
They are inexpensive and available from CSUSA or PennState.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom