Other turnings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ldimick

I have some short lengths of logs that I would like to turn into bowls. The problem, or possible problem, is that they have some minor heartwood cracking. Both ends are cracked but it does not seem to be the same crack. Will this turn OK? Should I not bother? Were they not sealed correctly? Will proper sealing prevent all cracking?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Some cracking cannot be avoided on some wood...especially when it is still in the round with the pith intact. Most cracks orginate from the ends...so the longer the log the bigger the chance that you may have solid parts inside. Ofcourse there are some that will run the entire length of the log too [B)].

The good news is, you can still turn those babies. I made a few that I "integrated" the cracks as "feature" [;)]...the secret is to not try to hide it...instead "flaunt" it. [}:)]

Ofcourse cracks can pose challenges too, watch for any catch! Sanding will be tougher too.

Good luck!

ldimick

Thanks Dario.

You have assured me that my concerns are for the right reasons. Nothing like a catch to ruin a nice project. [B)]

My first thought was to drizzle some thin CA down the cracks but I can tell it won't get very deep because the cracks are fairly small. So, I'll give it a try and see how it goes!

Dario

These have a few cracks...

Mesquite burl
P1070731a.jpg

Manzanita root burl (look at the bottom)
P1030428a.jpg

alamocdc

Lynn, if you know you have checks in the piece you can still turn it okay. Just 1) make sure your tools are sharp, and 2) take relatively light cuts. You can experiment a little and see how big a bite you can take before hitting a snag, then back off a little and keep that pace.

Having said that, I'll say this. As a rule, turnings don't include the pith. That doesn't mean you can't do it, but most turners won't. I don't think they like the look of the checking that is all but inevitable with most pith. One of the harvesting articles I recently read says to cut all bowl blanks from the outside ot the log leaving the pith out of the blanks. The diagram that accompanied the article included an end grain piece, but it did not include any pith.

I have several pieces that I think will make nice end grain turnings so I will leave the pith in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom