OT: Shuttle launch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

emackrell

This has nothing whatever to do with pen turning but it's such an astonishing photo I wanted to share it. The International Space Station was in position to get this photo of the recent shuttle launch:

2006122052056_Shuttle%20launch%201.jpg

It's been a while since I say anything this cool!!

cheers Eileen [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Been watching the last couple of missions on www.nasa.gov . Just click on NASA TV link whenever there is a mission. Often fairly slow action but I find a lot of it very interesting.

btboone

That gives some perspective of how low the space station is flying. If a globe was a foot across, the orbit of the space station would only be around 1/8" off the surface. The atmosphere would only be as thick as a couple sheets of paper!

alamocdc

That IS cool! Unlike Lou, it reminded me of nothing like Jan '86. I was watching the launch live with my 8th grade class (I was the teacher). I will never forget that day (or 9/11/01, but there is quite a difference). Being a science teacher, I was envious of Christa for getting to go. All of us that applied for the program new the risks and gladly accepted them. God bless all who lay their lives on the line to try and better our world!

alamocdc

Originally posted by btboone
<br />That gives some perspective of how low the space station is flying. If a globe was a foot across, the orbit of the space station would only be around 1/8" off the surface. The atmosphere would only be as thick as a couple sheets of paper!

I noticed that, Bruce. I thought it had a higher orbit than that, but I guess not.

btboone

The orbit is about 340 miles up right now. It varies from around 350 miles to around 330 miles and is constantly losing altitude. It has to be boosted by any and every rocket that goes up to it. The loss of altitude is affected by solar activity and upper atmosphere drag. It is really an eye opener to take a globe and see what 340 miles looks like in comparison to the whole globe. It just doesn't seem possible that something can rotate that close and not crash into the Earth!

Great Photo Eileen!! Thanks for sharing that.

For you NASA buffs, here are two great links

http://www.google.com/mars/

http://moon.google.com/

It's amazing how close you can get to the ground when you zoom in.

Also, Google has signed an agreement with NASA to house all their images
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/12/18/prnw.20061218.DCM022.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom