Organization methods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've started to grow my collection and stock of blanks and pens. I was wondering if anyone had a system they use for organization? I need to get my sandpaper, blanks, spare tubes, kits, and bits correctly placed. I find myself searching all the time for the stuff I need (mostly drill bits).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I use alot of USPS Flat Rate Boxes to store most of the turning stuff in; They are free, just the right size, stack or store side by side without any problems. All the blanks are in medium boxes on their side, kits are in mediums with the manufacture written on the outside, and sanding supplies are all over the place in boxes hopefully with similar grits! My drill bits are in a scrap piece of wood with lots of holes drilled in it for each size. Spare tubes, bushings, spare pen parts, and ink are stored in clear plastic small parts boxes. I find the best ones are found at WallyWorld in the fishing aisle.

Welcome to the club.

I use the plastic storage boxes (I think they're called shoe boxes) that are stack-able. You can usually get a really good deal on them come spring time at Lowe's or Home Depot and they have different sizes too. There's usually 6 or so in a stack at good prices. I use masking tape to label the box so I know what's inside. Good for pen kits or blanks. I even use the bigger ones to store my finished items. I store them all stacked 3 high on shelves all around the shop. I use the flat pack sandpaper that I buy through Amazon or at Ace that is stored in an old paper sorter thing from the days type writers were used, waaaaay before computers were used in offices. It holds close to 8 different grits of sand paper. I use an old pair of scissors to cut it to the size I need. One thing you find is that over time you'll probably need more storage boxes. When I first started I could keep all my kits in an old wooden Cigar box.

jttheclockman

I do the same with the plastic containers. Go to amazon and you can find all sizes needed. I use them for everything. I recently did a clean out of my garage and my basement shop and lay down area and used many different sized plastic boxes. Label them and good to go. Eventually I want to build a shelving storage roll around for all the kits and accessories. For my blanks and segmenting and casting stuff I bought some tool storage cabinets from Harbor freight when they were on sale. They are ideal for those things. Believe me with time your inventory will grow and out grow your ability to sell or give away at the same pace as you make. Good luck.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Dollar General has $1.00 plastic boxes with tops. I use these considerably, I have probably 50 or more for more than just pen organization.

BUT, since Covid hit, their individual store stock has been limited.

egnald

Greetings - I keep my pen sized and pen specialty drill bits in individual plastic tubes (the small rectangular one's that Pen State sells) with a label on each of the sides of the tube. The tubes are then stored in a plastic compartment box that I added a handle to so I could store it like a drawer under my lathe. I keep most of my stuff in plastic boxes of one kind or another. I keep my blanks in plastic bags, then the overflow of the bags in plastic totes. I carried over a lot of 5S LEAN Manufacturing practices from work to my shop - here are a few photos of my storage madness. - Dave

Attachments

• IMG_1577.JPG
    IMG_1577.JPG
    406.9 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1578.JPG
    IMG_1578.JPG
    391 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1579.JPG
    IMG_1579.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1580.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1581.JPG
    IMG_1581.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    449.4 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1583.JPG
    IMG_1583.JPG
    361.7 KB · Views: 236

howsitwork

Greetings - I keep my pen sized and pen specialty drill bits in individual plastic tubes (the small rectangular one's that Pen State sells) with a label on each of the sides of the tube. The tubes are then stored in a plastic compartment box that I added a handle to so I could store it like a drawer under my lathe. I keep most of my stuff in plastic boxes of one kind or another. I keep my blanks in plastic bags, then the overflow of the bags in plastic totes. I carried over a lot of 5S LEAN Manufacturing practices from work to my shop - here are a few photos of my storage madness. - Dave
Dave

Im now in a quandary! I use multiple plastic storage boxes ( some even labelled šŸ¤£).

I like the storage methods you have and am tempted to adopt a few but having my other half being able to quickly identify a rapid expansion in supplies vs my current reality where ( to be honest ) it's easy to lose things ( sometimes accidentally) could be dangerous .

Its tempting to my inner OCD though

Dave

Im now in a quandary! I use multiple plastic storage boxes ( some even labelled šŸ¤£).

I like the storage methods you have and am tempted to adopt a few but having my other half being able to quickly identify a rapid expansion in supplies vs my current reality where ( to be honest ) it's easy to lose things ( sometimes accidentally) could be dangerous .

Its tempting to my inner OCD though

Gotta say Dave, you're a very organized man. I thought I had a pretty good system down, I've got nothing on you for sure.

In my Navy training Ian, they pounded into us routine and regiment, everything was done the same way, no variance, everyday. That way when something happened everyone reacted the exact same way. I've had a really hard time breaking that habit, just ask my wife. You might lose stuff but at least you know it and accept it. I'll spend days looking for something that should be where it's supposed to be can't find it, drives my wife nuts.

Of all the methids here I think I'll go with this one. It seems doable for the area I have for a shop and looks expandable. Thanks so much for your reply!

mmayo

I use the clear shoebox method for most everything. I've even started having the drill bits, bushings, spare parts etc in each. When I want to make a Sierra I have everything inside except the actual kits since I have about 50 in stock. The Sierra box has tubes, blanks cut to Sierra size, tubed blanks, bushings and spare parts ready to turn. It is the same for slimlines, Saturns, bottle stoppers, seam rippers, shave kits etc. I don't search, I work. I used to search plenty...

Jans husband

Very impressed by your organisation Dave,

Please confirm that you tidied up just a bit before you took the photos!!

Also aren't the blue and white things in photo 3 out of place in the workshop??

seriously- not seen those before. What are they? Not something Ive seen in the UK.

Mike

egnald

Very impressed by your organisation Dave,

Please confirm that you tidied up just a bit before you took the photos!!

Also aren't the blue and white things in photo 3 out of place in the workshop??

seriously- not seen those before. What are they? Not something Ive seen in the UK.

Mike

Ha! Officially known as finger cots or fingertip gloves, but we have a lot of more colorful nicknames for them. They are essentially a latex or nitrile glove that is designed to only be worn on the tip of one finger. I think they were originally designed to prevent contaminating cuts and open finger wounds, but at work we used them for a reverse purpose, to handle small electronic components without our fingers contaminating the parts. (I am a retired engineering director from Vishay, the world's larges manufacturer of passive electronic components). In the shop I use them on my finger when I am applying CA glue - I haven't glued paper towel to my finger since I started using them!

Regards,
Dave

PS I try to put things away and tidy up whenever I finish a project - It's part of the LEAN 5S mentality. Everything labeled and kept in it's place. The only time I have to go searching for a tool is after someone else in the household uses it. For those unfamiliar with 5S, it is a visual management and efficiency philosophy adopted from Japan. The five "S"s are:

1) Seri (Sort) - Sort the work area to keep only the essential items needed to complete the work in the work area.
2) Seiton (Set in Order) - Organize and designate a place for each item.
3) Seiso (Shine) - Be proactive in keeping the work area clean and orderly.
4) Seiketsu (Standardize) - In essence, the schedule and practices that are established for doing the first 3,
5) Shitsuke (Sustain) - Maintain the discipline to sustain the schedules and practices that were established.

Jans husband

Thanks for that explanation David. All is clear now!! I think your work ethic is incredible.

From what you say, my corner of the garage is disorganised because my son borrowed my mole grips a few months ago and he hasn't bought them back yet--despite several reminders. I have bought him a pair for Christmas in the hope that mine will return.

NOT mocking. I am very impressed, and thanks for the explanation.

Mike

howsitwork

In the uk they're called finger cots Mike ( or mouse condoms at times !)

cheap and available at any chemist.

egnald

Mole Grips - now that's a term I haven't heard for a long time. The USA version, Vice Grips, were invented here in Nebraska and were manufactured here for many many years. The factory in Nebraska closed in 2008 and manufacturing was sent overseas, but before they closed I bought a set made in Nebraska for my son. I should probably give them to him some day now that he is 23 years old -- maybe not, I will just leave a note on them and he can find them in my toolbox when I'm on the wrong side of the grass. - Dave

Jans husband

Thanks Ian for the clarification. From the Chemist is all I need to know.!

Dave, don't "give" your son the Vice Grips, "lend" them to him-then you can always ask for them back when you need them!
He will end up with the whole toolbox when you enter the great Big Workshop in the Sky anyway!

Mike

Mike

Some nice shops there. Mine is no where that neat!!
Mine is the 2 car side of a 3 car garage. It has all my tools, far too many to list. It is fairly organized, thanks to my wonderful wife of almost 50 years. I have open shelves about 15' long with many sizes of plastic containers full of stuff with sharpie labels on the ends.

I am looking tonight for small boxes to keep individual pens under construction in. I sometimes start things and then don't do anything for a month and I forget what blank was going with what pen, etc. And a box to hold the penn state pen vise and all it's pieces. Also individual tubes for finished pens.

Too much stuff on Amazon, still sorting through it, getting ready to order.
I am going to hit the dollar store tomorrow.

jttheclockman

Some nice shops there. Mine is no where that neat!!
Mine is the 2 car side of a 3 car garage. It has all my tools, far too many to list. It is fairly organized, thanks to my wonderful wife of almost 50 years. I have open shelves about 15' long with many sizes of plastic containers full of stuff with sharpie labels on the ends.

I am looking tonight for small boxes to keep individual pens under construction in. I sometimes start things and then don't do anything for a month and I forget what blank was going with what pen, etc. And a box to hold the penn state pen vise and all it's pieces. Also individual tubes for finished pens.

Too much stuff on Amazon, still sorting through it, getting ready to order.
I am going to hit the dollar store tomorrow.
Take a walk through a Home Depot. They have storage containers in a few different areas. One is where all the safety equipment is and you will find plastic boxes of various sizes. Also walk through Home Goods area and you will also see strorage containers that may work for you. Dollar stores will not have much. May also want to walk through Harbor Freight. I bought many small parts boxes there too for cheap money.

dogcatcher

Clear plastic shoe boxes, I have the Stacked on on wall. At one end it has a 4x6 card in it with a list on contents. Kits, bushings instructions, extra parts, drilled blanks etc., are in labeled shoe boxes. The card also shows current inventory. Same for my game call supplies and other projects.

penicillin

The essence of what we are talking about in this thread is Kindergarten Lesson #1.

We do many things with our shop, and penturning is only one aspect of that. The goal is to keep related items together in small, well-organized and labeled containers. Group related containers into larger containers, and organize them well on shelves, cabinets, or whatever space you have. Put away everything as soon as you are done with it, so you can find it again. Do not start anything until the tools from the previous project are clean and put away.

I admire the many organization examples above, especially the wonderful custom storage that many have built for themselves. We do not have fancy storage for our shop tools and supplies. Our cabinets and shelves are old and used, picked up at surplus/salvage sales and swap meets. We have old metal shelves and metal cabinets, an old kitchen cabinet mounted to a wall, and a used 12-bay elementary school locker - a good match for our needs. In my opinion, the smallish size of the kitchen cabinet and locker spaces are just right for keeping things organized at the right level.

Storage containers themselves are mostly used or repurposed. In addition to making use of old plastic and cardboard boxes and containers, we also have a collection of Rubbermaid tubs and lids in various sizes that help organize stuff. We keep a stack of various size plastic tubs in a shed. The storage tubs are constantly used, reused, and repurposed - going back and forth to the shed all the time.

Tools and supplies should be well-organized and well-labeled. The way my spouse uses her Brother label maker, I wish I had bought stock in the company years ago.

Working down, for penturning, most supplies are in an upside-down cardboard box lid from a copy paper box, which is a good fit for one of the lockers. Inside that box lid are old upside-down cylindrical CD storage lids. One holds glues. Another holds the bushings, each set in their own labeled original envelope. You get the idea. You pull out the cardboard box lid and the organized supplies are ready to go. Other penturning/woodturning supplies (wood and plastic blanks, pen kits, other non-pen kits, etc.) are grouped in Rubbermaid tubs that are stacked on a file cabinet. I pick the right tub from the stack, pull out what I need, put the stack back - easy peasy. Pen kit instructions go in a file cabinet. I throw away the duplicates, and the new ones go in the file folder. We keep sheets of sandpaper in the file cabinet, too.

Penturning Organization Rule #1:
Only one set of bushings is out of its labeled original envelope at a given time.

Woodchipper

Kits: I put kits in deli lunch meat boxes when anticipating turning; sandpaper- hanging files with a frame in a milk carton; drill bits in a kid's pencil box' bushings- small cabinet with drawers hanging on the wall; blanks sorted for wood and synthetics in a plastic box.
Most of these are on shelves from an old freezer and attached to the shop wall.

Top Bottom