Opinions on Alligator Juniper Eyeburl as a pen blank material ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I bought some blanks a few years ago from an IAP member in Arizona who sold blanks at the time. . Have not "seen" him here for over 5 years.

He gave the wood name as Alligator Juniper Eyeburl.

It seems to have a very attractive grain pattern and quite a lot of "eyes".
But some of the pieces have some distracting cracks which appear ( or get noticed ! ) during the rounding.

Just wondering if any members have an opinion on the use of this wood and a good finish for it.
I want a finish which does not significantly darken the wood.
I don't want to use CA as I would like to keep to a matte appearance.

I found a SOYP posting from a few years ago but the wood I have has lots more eyes and more distinctive grain.

Here is the link to that previous thread :- https://www.penturners.org/threads/alligator-juniper.22787/

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

I bought some blanks a few years ago from an IAP member in Arizona who sold blanks at the time. . Have not "seen" him here for over 5 years.

He gave the wood name as Alligator Juniper Eyeburl.

It seems to have a very attractive grain pattern and quite a lot of "eyes".
But some of the pieces have some distracting cracks which appear ( or get noticed ! ) during the rounding.

Just wondering if any members have an opinion on the use of this wood and a good finish for it.
I want a finish which does not significantly darken the wood.
I don't want to use CA as I would like to keep to a matte appearance.

I found a SOYP posting from a few years ago but the wood I have has lots more eyes and more distinctive grain.

Here is the link to that previous thread :- https://www.penturners.org/threads/alligator-juniper.22787/
Somehow I missed buying some of that ! I assume you will seal the hairline cracks with CA ? Or are they large enough to require filling with contrasting material ?

I would not be reluctant to use a CA finish . It is very easy to knock the gloss down to whatever level you want , using very fine steel wool , Micromesh , 600 grit sandpaper or Abranet . Your choice .

PatrickR

I don't know anything about the wood but you can easily make CA as matte as you want by using a liquid abrasive of your choice as a last step. I use Yorkshire Grit But there are others.

magpens

I don't know anything about the wood but you can easily make CA as matte as you want by using a liquid abrasive of your choice as a last step. I use Yorkshire Grit But there are others.
@PatrickR

Thank you for mentioning Yorkshire Grit. . That prompted me to find a source for it in Canada ... https://www.woodsleesummercraft.ca/

It is rather expensive .... CDN $32.99 .... and shipping on top of that. . . That store is a LONG way from me.

I wonder if an automotive "cut polish" would do the job. . . I don't fancy using fine steel wool because it would seem a bit risky, even though "fine".

PatrickR

@PatrickR

Thank you for mentioning Yorkshire Grit. . That prompted me to find a source for it in Canada ... https://www.woodsleesummercraft.ca/

It is rather expensive .... CDN $32.99 .... and shipping on top of that. . . That store is a LONG way from me.

I wonder if an automotive "cut polish" would do the job. . . I don't fancy using fine steel wool because it would seem a bit risky, even though "fine".
Yes, Yorkshire Grit is expensive but I have found it worth it. A little goes a long way And it breaks down getting finer from friction allowing you to stop at the desired finish. There are some competitors out there that are less (Can' remember the names). Your idea of using a rubbing compound should work fine but getting the finish you want may require some trial and error with different grits.

magpens

@PatrickR

Where do you buy your Yorkshire Grit ?

Is it possibly stocked by one of the major vendors of pen-making supplies ? ..... such as Exotic Blanks ?

PatrickR

@PatrickR

Where do you buy your Yorkshire Grit ?

Is it possibly stocked by one of the major vendors of pen-making supplies ? ..... such as Exotic Blanks ?
The only vendor i found in the US was a general turning supplier in TX. I cant say about Canada, it could be best to get it from England? There is someone on etsy selling from there.

Top Bottom