Opinion on this mold set-up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan

Well how about some opinions??? UHMW so the resin wont stick.

20079816210_DSCF0001.jpg

20079816230_DSCF0002.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Nolan,

Cool looking mold but not sure of the practicality of it. IMO, my first impression is you would be better of making one solid block and then cutting the blanks to size after cure. With this you have much more areas for the resin to seep under and leak out and it will be slower to pour since you have to pour each cell individually. With one solid block you basically just mix the resin and pour it in without needing to go from cell to cell. Also, I assume you checked that it will fit in your pressure post with some method of being able to remove it?

Then again, I have not tried it obviously and it may just work great! Not trying to rain on your parade or anything but you did ask for opinions.

Narwhale

I like the idea, but also not sure it will work out in practice.
Think the hardened resin will stick in the corners of the slots and make the vertical sides hard to get out or in.
Only tring it will tell.
Would you report back?
Rich S.

doddman70

I tend to agree with Curtis. i made a similar mold out of one of my wifes cutting boards awhile back and wasnt real happy with it i thought i had all the cracks filled (i still think i did) but it was very hard to remove the cast. if your doing just colors i think that pvc pipe is hard to beat but if you are casting objects i think a squar mold like curtis suggested and then cut the blanks after would be a better idea. just my thoughts[:D]

Shane

Nolan

I built it like this because I am casting individual blanks with the tubes installed. If I was doing solid stuff then yah one big piece and cut the blanks out of that would be easier. I also have some block-offs with holes center (less the extra for the top so I dont spill. That way I can cast the half blanks with stoppers and centering /block-off pieces. Will post more pics as I got one ready to cast.

its_virgil

Look at my snake skin tutorial for an idea of how to cast with the tubes installed and cast in one large block. While your idea is good, unless you seal the seams, the resin will leak out the smallest of space at the joints.
do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by n4631x
<br />I built it like this because I am casting individual blanks with the tubes installed. If I was doing solid stuff then yah one big piece and cut the blanks out of that would be easier. I also have some block-offs with holes center (less the extra for the top so I dont spill. That way I can cast the half blanks with stoppers and centering /block-off pieces. Will post more pics as I got one ready to cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom